Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 03:27:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[Today at 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Great Alaska Sportsman's Show 2013  (Read 3122 times)

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
This coming weekend marks the official start to gear-acquisition season, with the Sportsman's Show on Thursday.  I always think I'm going to find amazing deals, rarely do, but always walk away with something new to try when I finally get back on the water.

Thought it would be a good idea to put up a thread to organize Sportsman's Show related notions.  Any meet-ups? Any good deals to highlight?  Useful seminars to recommend? What are you looking for this year?

This year I'm shopping for a fishfinder, a shrimp pot, legal wading boots and a reel (narrowed to either the Shimano Torium or Tekota).  Thoughts?

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Get the tekota over the torium.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

akfishergal

• Salmon

Line counter, or no?  I'm thinking yes, unless they're prone to failure...  Nothing I read tells me that's so. What about your experience?  Also, I'm thinking the 500 rather than the 600 on the Takota.  What did you use when catching that beauty ling on the cover of the Alaska Sporting Journal?  ;)

Akfishin

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
This starts gear acquisition season? I've been going about this all wrong!  People planning on meeting up for coffee or anything again this year?

DoubleR

• Lingcod
Ive got a couple Tekota 500LC's - they hold plenty of line (I use 65# braid).  After almost 10 years of use, I took them all the way apart this winter, and they looked almost new inside.  Cant say that about some other brands i've owned in the past.  I did install Carbontex drag washers, but the old washers still looked pretty good.

I would definitely get a line counter.  When used with a depthfinder, you can keep your gear near the bottom without getting hung up all the time.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010

Line counter, or no?  I'm thinking yes, unless they're prone to failure...  Nothing I read tells me that's so. What about your experience?  Also, I'm thinking the 500 rather than the 600 on the Takota.  What did you use when catching that beauty ling on the cover of the Alaska Sporting Journal?  ;)

The 500 LC is plenty of reel for almost anything you need out of the kayak. My reel for that ling is my new bottom fishing love! It is a Talica 8 and completely unnecessary but I freakin love it! 

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I wouldn't mind meeting up with folks!  Not sure about purchases.  I have things on the list that take priority over anything I can buy at the sportsman show...like a TI, another Outback, maybe the is9...

Ok, maybe a new fishfinder...and maybe an electric reel...and oh yeah a seeker rod....and...and...and...
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
Well if folks wanna meet up before the weekend I'm down...

akfishergal

• Salmon
This starts gear acquisition season? I've been going about this all wrong! 

I just reset the annual aquisition tally every Sportsman's Show -- I always like to know if it's been a $5K year in our household, or more like $500. Last year was on the high end with two kayaks ... This year should be lighter on gear, heavier on water taxis and bush flights.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
This starts gear acquisition season? I've been going about this all wrong! 

I just reset the annual aquisition tally every Sportsman's Show -- I always like to know if it's been a $5K year in our household, or more like $500. Last year was on the high end with two kayaks ... This year should be lighter on gear, heavier on water taxis and bush flights.

No doubt.  I think I may be in a "high" cycle of spending which means a lot of little knick knacks at the sportmanshow is out.

Anone want to throw out a time?  I'd prefer weekday evenings as my weekends are set aside for FISHING and the forecast looks tempting.  Not sure what I am going to do yet. 

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
I'm in anch Friday this week for work as I'm lucky enough to spend a couple days working out of the house this week...

akfishergal

• Salmon
Friday works -- anytime after 1:30 I can make it.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Ok. Friday works!!!  Time and location suggestions???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Akfishin

• Lingcod
Time/location isn't super critical for me. My outlook calendar says I'm wide open, just have to pick up my boys after 3:30 and before 6pm
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:34:54 PM by Akfishin »

akfishergal

• Salmon
Looks like we need to zero in on Rudy's post-1:30 and pre-6 pm availability...