Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 03:05:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 14, 2024, 04:43:13 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 03:48:56 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by Zach
[June 13, 2024, 06:12:39 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 08:15:15 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 07:28:03 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Anyone up for some catching this weekend?  (Read 4427 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I tried the bare hook thing off if whiskey gulch last year when the reds were tuning through. Didn't get anything and saw salmon jumping so I know some were nearby. I even switched to a herring in case I was seeing silvers but that didn't work either. So who knows.

Xanfly39

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Well, plans seem to be changing for me. I'm up to chase a little Butty!!
Wilderness Tarpon 140

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I tried the bare hook thing off if whiskey gulch last year when the reds were tuning through. Didn't get anything and saw salmon jumping so I know some were nearby. I even switched to a herring in case I was seeing silvers but that didn't work either. So who knows.

How long did you last before you gave it up? I wouldn't last long. So I'm going to go with the herring in lead hook and acting as another flasher with trailing bare hook maybe 18 to 24" behind.

The butts are calling dang it's. it should be getting to prime time! Argh. I hope I can squeeze a half day somewhere!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I thought i lasted long enough considering those salmon were jumping next to me. I honestly don't know but trolling bare hooks using your muscles  does not breed confidence so probably not long.

Dammit I want to go. Gonna have to take next week off I guess. Got some new halibut tackle to try too. And I got the fish finder rigged on the adventure
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:44:15 PM by rimfirematt »

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
I'll in Seward tonight, and fortunately put the Revo on top of the car before leaving Anchorage. I'll let you know how the reds look after a couple hours on the water in the morning! The bay is flat tonight.

dudemandude

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
sweet! going to go camping friday night and sat afternoon going kayak fishing. Bringing some new people along and I hope they are up to fishing. Good luck and later! Look for ocean kayak malibu 2xl yellow with two people on it and maybe a Liquid Adventures rental around millers landing towards tonsina point. Not going to mess around with the sockeye, catch a lot dipping and with rod and reel in the rivers. Be safe and have a good weekend!

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I've committed to the editor of Alaska Outdoor Journal that if I go out this weekend on my kayak, I will spend some try trolling bare hooks around resurrection bay in hopes that I can emulate the Lake Washington fishery for sockeye here in Alaska.     I just don't see how long may patience will run using bare hooks so I plan to rig my two hook herring rig with the hooks spaced about 24 inches apart so I can have a herring on the lead hook and a trailing red gamakatsu hook a foot or two behind the herring.

24" is a longer spacing than used with the "normal" dodger/barehook rig.  The norm is more like 12-16".  Putting a herring inline seems like it will mute the action on the trailing hook even more.

-Allen

Dirk1730

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
I tried the double  finger nail polish red bare hook thing at swiftsure last year when we got into a school of sockeye, it didn't work. But what has it been 14 years  ago on lake washington, I could catch my 4 fish limit in 30 minutes. I would be interested to know if the red nail polish is a freshwater only thing.
BETTER TO HAVE A BROKEN BONE, THAN A BROKEN SPIRIT.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I've committed to the editor of Alaska Outdoor Journal that if I go out this weekend on my kayak, I will spend some try trolling bare hooks around resurrection bay in hopes that I can emulate the Lake Washington fishery for sockeye here in Alaska.     I just don't see how long may patience will run using bare hooks so I plan to rig my two hook herring rig with the hooks spaced about 24 inches apart so I can have a herring on the lead hook and a trailing red gamakatsu hook a foot or two behind the herring.

24" is a longer spacing than used with the "normal" dodger/barehook rig.  The norm is more like 12-16".  Putting a herring inline seems like it will mute the action on the trailing hook even more.

-Allen

I've read the 'optimal" distances is shorter like 18" as you stated.  My only concern would be at the slow trolling speeds, will my herring roll right?  The way I rig my herring, I can adjust the herring to either roll or spin if that makes any sense.  I rig it so the first hook is inserted but the second hook and leader are completely free to trail behind the herring.  Due to stiffness of the leader, the second hooks leader bows out an inch or two before lining up with the herring. At first I wanted to make the gap between the first hook with herring and the trailer longer as I thought the whipping action of the herring would impart too much action to the back hook.  But maybe it won't at such slow trolling speeds.

I've heard the red hook technique is used in the BC troll commercial troll fishery as well so I don't think its exclusive to freshwater.  I've heard the main failure is that you have to slow the troll down to 1mph or so which is barely moving.  Like in many other fishing situation, if I can just gut it out long enough to give it an honest effort.  Like Dudeman said, I get plenty of reds from dipnetting on the Kenai and not to be  Kenai snob, but the second run reds in the Kenai are MUCH superior fish in my opinion.  But like kayak fishing, despite being a fishing crazed state, nobody that I can see has documented this technique here successfully.  Lots of avid sportsman here in Alaska and one of THE BIGGEST controversies here is "are sockeye's willing biters and will they strike?  Why do we have to do something as unethical as snagging??!?!?"    Of course the answer is it depends.  But if you could consistently catch them as willing biters, you'd see a fishery go from zero participants to I think hundreds...hmmm...is that a good thing? lol.  Yah I guess it is, disperses the pressures in the in-river fishery perhaps.

Always looking for something new.  I don't know if I am getting old and grumpy, I still enjoy reeling in a good fish, but after 40 years of fishing, I think I am in need of something "new"  within the fishing realm which is why I LOVE kayak fishing so much!!

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
If you feel better with a "bait" behind your dodger, run U20 flatfish in pink, orange, or silver with pink dots.  Thats the old school way that was popular before bare hooks.

-Allen

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Or a small pink hootchie run sparse with most of the legs cut off.  Or save the cut off legs and whip 2-3 of them to a hook.  Again, think sparse.  Thats how the commercial salts do it as well.

-Allen

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I had to brave through 4-6 inch surf and massive winds up to 5 mph.  It was horrible......I mean staring at the reflection of the mountains in the cook inlet was awful

lol - awesome. I've only spent time up there once but I dream about it all the time - absolutely beautiful when it's nice out.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
I had to brave through 4-6 inch surf and massive winds up to 5 mph.  It was horrible......I mean staring at the reflection of the mountains in the cook inlet was awful

lol - awesome. I've only spent time up there once but I dream about it all the time - absolutely beautiful when it's nice out.

Yah jealous!  But if you saw the surf which Kenai _guy made it through a few weeks back and I yard saled big time, it makes it even worse for me! Double jealous.

Successful...it was a lot worse than it looked...

Unsuccessful...conditions not as bad as it looks....lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
So here's what I will drag around behind various flashers and dodgers for the sockeye.  We will see.  Should be about as good a time as any to see if it works.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

anything