Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 13, 2024, 09:30:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:15:37 AM]

by Zach
[Today at 06:12:39 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 08:15:15 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 07:28:03 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Lake Washington Sockeye Advice for Sunday Aug 20th  (Read 3499 times)

gilla

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Aug 2006
Hi all I'm pretty new to Kayak fishing, I bought a Necky Manitou II Tandem in June and have been having a blast with it all summer.  I have hit Lake Washington a few times around the 520 bridge but last time I went out it seemed to be dead.  Does anyone have any advice for launching down south?  I was thinking Clarke Beach on Mercer Island or Kenneydale.  How is the parking in these areas around 6AM ?  Is there a better report of where the fish are?  Thanks in advance for answering my questions.  I will have lots more as I figure out the best way to fish from my Kayak.

Aaron Gill

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Atlantic City launch, Seward Park,  mouth of the Cedar, or Coulon down south.

I've been hearing some reports from up north by Sand Point so Magnusen launch for there.  Let me know how you do in the morning.  I won't be able to make it out early, but may hit the big lake later in the day for one last go at 'em.

-Allen

gilla

• Perch
Ok here is my fresh from the water report.  Went out off Gene Coulon Park about 6:30 am, fished the area just South of Mercer Island.  Well I go to where all the boats are I assume those big boys have fish finders etc.  We didn't get one bite all day.  Fishing seemed slow, but there were people catching sockeye sporadically.  This is the 3rd time out and 3 times skunk out there, I'm starting to wonder if I have to have a downrigger to catch those guys.  I tried different depths everything from 50 to 120 pulls out, but it’s really hard to tell how far down your rig is.
   I'm thinking about silvers next week off Shilshole anyone have any advice or reports about Kayak fishing over there. 

Thanks,

Aaron

fishbyte

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2006
Hey Arron,

I'm headed out to lk Wa to give those Sockeye one last chance to surrender.  I'll be launching from Waverley Park in Kirkland.  What size weight are you using?  I use a 10oz banana sinker, flasher, red hook and have had good sucess this year (the weight doesn't seem to bother them).  The 10 oz weight gets me down to the bottom where most of my hookups occur.
Also vary your paddle stroke/speed, seems like when I turn is when they hit.

Silvers are the next plan for me too.  I usually launch out of Picnic point just North of Edmond's (area 9).  It's a long walkto the water so a wheel set up is reccomended so you don't have to carry things.

Hope to see you out there some day,

Kurt
Those that plan the battle rarely battle the plan, unless it involves fishing!

gilla

• Perch
    I have a tandem and went with a buddy.  He had an 8oz I had a 6oz we would hit bottom sometimes, so I know it went deep enough.  I was just thinking more of the consistency of the depth and presentation.   We used the standard banana weight - line - dodger - hook set up.

I need to get one of those wheel setups. I just figured out how to load my boat on top of my car without two people, just don't look at my hood kind of got scratched up before I figured out to duct tape 2 sleeping pads together.  Anyway I got it loaded and went to Green Lake to try it with the kids and didn't have a plan to carry it, luckly my back didn't go out :)

Aaron

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Gilla ... you are not alone.  I've made 3 trips to the big lake this year and walked away empty handed as well.

The silvers are coming!!!  I have a bit of travelling coming up in the near future, but let me know when you're heading out as plans change and perhaps I can make it.  Are you planning on hitting it during the week this week?  I can probably swing a morning before work.

-Allen

gilla

• Perch
   I don't have any reports on silvers yet but my next available date is Sunday.  I go with a friend who knows alot more about salmon fishing than I do.  I'm not writing Sunday in stone though I have a big party Saturday and that isn't alwasy condusive to the early AM trip the next day.  I have a tandem sit in kayak and haven't worked out all the kinks yet in my setup so don't have the guts to go solo yet.

Aaron

anything