Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:42:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:37:37 AM]

[Today at 06:35:15 AM]

[Today at 06:33:32 AM]

[Today at 06:29:12 AM]

[May 22, 2024, 03:13:08 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Anyone know of any good fishing spots around Nanaimo?  (Read 6224 times)

FishWhisperer

• Herring
  • The Fish Whisperer
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I am heading to Nanaimo for a couple of days on the Labour Day weekend and was wanting to bring the new boat.  I have yet to fish anywhere on the island (fresh or salt) and was hoping somebody might have a suggestion or two for a newbie.  I usually fly fish on the lakes, but I do have some gear that I bought for local salmon in the rivers that I am sure I can use for salt? 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Len Zilkowsky

Jackson Kayak
Werner Paddles
Kokatat

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
If you're already going to be on the island, why not come up to the Moutcha Derby?  A bunch of us are already going to be there.

-Allen

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
C.W.,

I can't think of anybody that has direct experience with that area, but I'm looking in my "Backroad Mapbook" for Vancouver Island and it shows the longest circumscribed area (with fish symbols) that I've ever seen on one of these maps and it lays north of Nanaimo.  It starts off of the point on the north side of Nanoose Harbor and runs continuously all the way to a small town called Bowser which is almost to Deep Bay.  I'd suggest that you look for the "Fish-n-Map Co." map of that area.  It's the one with pink and blue print.

The area in the map book could be old stuff and I don't have any idea how the fish run in that area these days.  Based on where the area is shown and how it is shaped, I'd guess that the "good fishing" that they are referring to is when the salmon are migrating through.

About the only thing that you can really do if someone else doesn't answer your post is to get to Nanaimo and ask the locals about the fishing along the east side of the island in the area that starts at Nanoose Harbor.  But that might at least give you some idea where you might want to stay for your long weekend.

If you're not committed to stay with friends or family, I'd absolutely suggest that you follow Polepole's advice and come on over to the west side of the island with us to Moutcha Bay.  It's the closest thing that you'll find to guaranteed chinook success.

Fishin-T
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 01:49:55 PM by Fishin-T »
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

Yarjammer

• Salmon
  • Captain of the Titanic
  • Date Registered: May 2008
You could always head over Nanoose Bay and troll for submarines  >:D (the Nanoose International Range is located there)

FishWhisperer

• Herring
  • The Fish Whisperer
Fishin-T,

Thanks for the reply.  I just picked up the most recent Backroad Maps book and saw the same areas.  I was thinking that it was quite a big area without having much idea of where to go though.  The good news is that my dad bought a home in Parksville and it looks like they are going to be moving next summer and he is a fisherman so I can imagine I will be able to get him out there helping me find some good spots.  In the meantime, I have future in-laws in Nanoose Bay and I will be hitting the local shops asking questions with a whole new attitude now. 

I have heard great things about a number of runs in many of the local rivers and my hope is to get some information from a few locals.  Port Alberni area has been mentioned a number of times.  I just met a new neighbour this weekend over way too many beers and rye, and tequila, and more beers.......  Anyway, I digress, he has fished out of the Tofino area a few times and he had some great stories.  We have set a date to take his boat out to the mouth of the Capilano River in North Vancouver and try our luck.

And now for the BIG FINALY

I just got off the phone and got the go ahead from the fiance to drop her off on Saturday morning as soon as we get to Nanoose Bay (should be around 10:30am) and then head to Moutcha Bay.  Seems like it would be another 5 hours from there.  It's going to be a quick trip since I will have to pick her back up to catch the 8pm ferry on Monday, but who cares ;D 

A few quick questions:
1. Does anybody know if this would be a problem? 
2. Can I show up on Saturday afternoon? 
3. Do I register through the official site?
4. Can anybody help me with my confusion of where exactly we camp?
5. Anybody like country music?  Should I bring the guitar?
6. Anything I can do to help out?

I'm not going to sleep for days now.   YEEEEEHAAAAAW!

Len
Len Zilkowsky

Jackson Kayak
Werner Paddles
Kokatat

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Working on better maps/directions.  Basically head towards Tahsis, BC.  You'll go through Gold River and the road turns to dirt (not too bad).  After going X mile (X TBD) you'll see Moutcha Bay Resort on the left . Go past this for Y miles (Y TBD) to Head Bay Rd  Junction.  Take a left and go 2 miles until you see the logging camp.  We'll be here scattered about in random places on a first come, first serve basis.  There's plenty of space..

Google maps shows it to be a 3 hr, 38 min drive from Nanaimo to Tahsis.  If you get to Tahsis, you went too far.

There is a better map here ... http://www.canadiankayakanglers.com/index.php?page=Moutcha2008

You can register and pay via Paypal at the link too.  Not a problem to show up Saturday afternoon.

I'm a big fan of guitar music by the fire.  Not really a country fan, but I don't dislike it either.

Fishin-T

• Lingcod
  • It's called a "Slow Loris"
Hey C.W.,

Great you're on board!

As for #2:  based on previous years, showing up on Sat. afternoon shouldn't be a significant disadvantage for winning the derby.  It's quite a bit of a crapshoot as to who hooks the largest fish.  Landing him is quite a bit different though.

As for #5:  emmm.... nope, I'm not so much of a country music fan.  But hey!  Played live around the campfire... again, that's quite a bit different.  So yeah, definitely bring it on.

Fishin-T
If at first you don't succeed....  maybe skydiving is just not for you.

RVP

• Plankton
  • Kill Fish - Dedicated to Salmonid
Hi there, I am new here - I have been reading the forum for some time now, and I must say...great site, very informative and helpful.

I am just getting into Kayak fishing - I am researching boats right now and will be making a purchase very soon. I am an ardent angler based out of Nanaimo and know the area very well. In fact, I have been angling on Vancouver Island most of my life...

For Nanaimo and other areas of VI, there is a great book that was recently released called "Island Salmon Fisherman" that outlines many excellent areas of Vancouver Island to help you locate good fishing. The book includes write up about different areas and in many cases includes GPS cords. There is another book in the series called Island Halibut Fisherman...also loaded with great info and GPS cords. You can get a copy from Island Fisherman Magazine as they are the writers for the series of books...

Cheers,
RVP. :)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Welcome RVP.  Nice to see some more BC Anglers checking in.  Also give CanadianKayakAnglers.com a try.  They are a sister site to us (I admin there as well).

If you want to be able to try out a few yaks, you too might want to consider the Moutcha event.  There will be reps there with demos from Ocean Kayak, Wilderness Systems, Hobie, and Delta.  If you have specific models you want to try, let us know and we can try to arrange it so they are there and available for your use.  This goes for anyone who is currently shopping.

-Allen

FishWhisperer

• Herring
  • The Fish Whisperer
Hey RVP,

Welcome.  I am glad to hear that you are considering the kayak.  I just bought mine a week and a half ago and it's only seen fresh water twice so far.  I actually go into the garage and say goodnight to it just like I do my two girls.  Pathetic I know.  I just signed up for the tourney and am so excited I can hardly sleep.  Anyway, hope to keep in touch and thanks for the info on the fishing areas on the island.  See you on the water.
Len Zilkowsky

Jackson Kayak
Werner Paddles
Kokatat

kallitype

• Sturgeon
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
from Amazon's review of the book: (Just ordered one, can't wait!!)

In writing this book, experienced saltwater anglers Larry Stefanyk and Robert Jones tapped the expertise of over fifty professional fishing guides, resort operators, lure manufacturers and local highliners to compile the kind of knowledge that is usually gained only through years of on-the-water experience.
The greatest strength of "Island Salmon Fisherman" is that in addition to the latest in fishing techniques, it offers insider knowledge where the fish are to be found. In all, it documents 826 hotspots and important locations--each accompanied by GPS coordinates for easy reference on a marine chart or GPS device.
Coverage runs down the west coast from Quatsino Sound, Kyuquot Sound, Zeballos, Nootka Sound, Clayoquot Sound, Ucluelet, Alberni Inlet, Bamfield, Port Renfrew, Sooke, to Victoria. East coast coverage includes waters around Port Hardy, Telegraph Cove and Blackfish Sound, Sayward, Campbell River, Heriot Bay, Comox Valley, Qualicum, Parksville, Schooner Cove to Nanaimo, the Gulf Islands and Sidney.
Each destination is covered in thorough detail, all lavishly supported with pictures, illustrations and maps.

Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Oooh ... I'm going to have to take a look at this book for sure.

-Allen

RVP

• Plankton
  • Kill Fish - Dedicated to Salmonid
Both books are available at http://www.islandfishermanmagazine.com/index.php?IFM-com=newsalmonbook

They are also sold at Costco stores, Chapters, and many tackle shops in British Columbia. Truly a treasure...sadly Bob Jones, one of the book series authors passed away the other day after a long battle with an illness that stole his health. He was a good person and a great asset to the sport of angling. He will be missed...

RVP.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Oh ... I didn't see the reference to the Halibut book.  Gotta check that one out too ...

-Allen