Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 11:59:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:47:37 PM]

[Today at 05:45:18 PM]

[Today at 02:50:54 PM]

[Today at 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Chest waders with a belt  (Read 4930 times)

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I continue to hear people say that using waders with a belt is a safe option if you can not afford, or are not yet ready to spend money on a wet, or dry suit. This is not true! Two people I fish with were wearing chest waders with belts, and dumped there yaks quite a ways out in the surf. One guy was separated from his kayak, and the other just couldn't get back on his kayak. They both took on water! The guy who managed to hang on to his kayak made it back in holding on, but not before swallowing some salt water and fearing for his life do to his full waders pulling him down. The other was rescued by my 15 year old son who let him hold on to the back of his kayak, and paddled him back in. Waders suck for kayaking! If you are going to wear them make sure they are tight, or cut the feet off, even if you are wearing a belt! I will never go out on the water with someone wearing waders again unless they cut the feet off, it's just not safe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Waders with the feet cut off would amount to rain pants. In terms of immersion, I think that qualifies as "nothing at all".

What kind of top were they wearing ? They would need a dry top or quite snug wetsuit jacket. Then waders with a tight belt would be safe.

I still wouldn't go out in the surf that way, but the idea that cutting off the feet accomplishes anything is wrong, IMO.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
For me, I think they call them drysuits because the main point is to keep you dry.  Here's a lesson learned article I wrote a few years back.
http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/139-kayak-fishing-how-to-articles/1676-qwaders-of-deathq-another-perspective.html

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
People here DO NOT say that waders are a safe option for ocean kayaking.

People DO say that waders in combination with a dry top are safe enough for a short immersion - if they are both properly sealed and properly fitted.

Read this: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17857.0

+infinity on what Pinstriper said.
+infinity on reading the article by kardinal_84

« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:21:09 AM by Tinker »
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I agree that if people use them incorrectly they can be an issue. However, I have been using a wafer and dry top combo and have had little issues. I have taken it into hagg lake and practiced Fallon out and getting back in. I barely have half a cup in my suit after I fell in ( with the dry top and belt). I honestly believe it os how they wear it and what else they have on. I don't think cutting the feet off is a good idea tho.

Just my 2 cents

Sorry to hear that you had to stop fishing because others were not prepared
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Snug-fitting neoprene waders will form a better seal with a dry top than nylon waders, because the nylon waders will have folds and wrinkles which can let in water.  And if you aren't wearing a dry top, dry pants which fit tightly around your stomach will keep your legs dryer than nylon waders with a belt, because the portion of the waders above the belt will scoop up water, which will then drain down through the folds in the waders.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I wore neoprene waders and took a swim at PC due to a hook in my boot I couldn't jump back on quickly and was in the water for about 10 minutes, no belt just a rain top and I barely had a half a cup of water if that once on shore. I'd never wear loose waders not even in a pool as my wife lost an uncle years ago to waders in the river. 

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Didn't sound to me like the waders were the problem here. I think Tinker said it best. I don't think anyone on this thread has argued that waders are a water-proof option. Even when wearing a drytop with the waders one will get a small amount of water intrusion.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Also were these guys wearing PFD's? It sounds like everyone was okay which is the important part.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Waders don't make you sink. They may make it harder to get on a kayak when full of water. Off and a tight belt are important.

2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Waders don't make you sink. They may make it harder to get on a kayak when full of water. Off and a tight belt are important.

Seen that video I fought there's much current in that there cement pond.  :banjo:

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Ah the annual wader debate.   

I love the fact that people think that water in you waders is going to drag you down to the bottom, as if the density of the water in waders is much higher than the density of the water around you.  Filled with water, waders won't make you sink any faster.  It will certainly slow you down and make getting into your kayak a real issue.

The wader system can work well, but it needs to be used properly with all the elements in place.   Every horror story I've heard about "waders of death" have involved someone not using the full system. 

1.) well fitting waders (i.e. not too big).  Neoprene waders actually work better than breathable ones because of the insulation and floating properties.
2.) a tight wading belt
3.) a dry top (not a paddle top.  Not a rain coat.. but a real dry top) with latex gaskets on the sleeves and neck.
4.) a well fitting PFD

Used properly you might still get a few ounces of water entering.  If you want to stay 100% dry you'll need to get a dry suit.  By the way, the "dry suits" many of us use.. the Kokatat Supernova Anglers are actually semi-dry suits and water will leak in a bit through the neoprene neck gasket.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Casey

• Salmon
Wow, a lot of insight! These guys were of course wearing PDFs. They were not wearing neoprene waders, or dry tops. Sounds like there is a lot more to it than just some waders, and a belt! I've only used a wetsuit with rain pants, and jacket over the top to block wind, never waders. It was really bothersome that my friends thought they were safe, with the gear they had, but we're not.
I should post after drinking a few beers more often! I have plenty to learn, and you guys have educated me quite well on this topic.[emoji482]
Thanks!

Casey

• Salmon
For me, I think they call them drysuits because the main point is to keep you dry.  Here's a lesson learned article I wrote a few years back.
http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/articles/139-kayak-fishing-how-to-articles/1676-qwaders-of-deathq-another-perspective.html

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
Very cool, thanks!

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Ok, here is my 2c worth. I survived a 30 minute immersion in the sub 40f Lake Coeur d’Alene, I believe my fish finder registered 38f, I was wearing no cotton clothing, only “performance” clothing under chest high neoprene waders with a belt cinched high waist and suspenders. I turtled while reaching for a rod behind me and did not think I was unbalancing the boat until I was in the water. My second mistake was wearing an automatic co2 life vest, it went off as soon as I hit the water. It was my life vest of choice for my 17ft bow rider and I had previously decided that I would not wear it in my kayak, realizing that if it went off I was done for the day, plus practicing self rescue with it would cost $25 for each emersion. Consequently I had only practiced self rescue, with my PFD, successfully I might add. Now___ that life jacket did save my life. But if you have ever experienced going for a swim with one of those on you will understand that they don’t want to let you get face down, and stick out very far in front of you, which make it difficult to swim except on your back, and it holds you so far off the side of the kayak, making it difficult to perform an effective self rescue. I made a decision not to deflate it to any extent in case I still couldn’t right the boat and get back on it, hoping that I could swim the kayak to shore or get rescued. Well, trying to swim an upturned kayak with all the gear and seat causing drag was like one step forward and two steps back. I was blessed to be rescued by a retired fireman who was on his way to the Higgins Point boat launch, when he was flagged down by some runners who heard my calls for help on the otherwise deserted middle of March lakeside trail. I was in the water for approximately 30 min. On rescue I had minimal water in the waders. My core temp was 95, borderline mild hypothermic. I did not go to the emergency room, and suffered no lasting problems (that I know of). I am 69 and convinced that the waders saved me from hypothermia and the life jacket saved me from drowning, even if it did hamper my numerous attempts to self rescue. I have since done a lot of self analysis. I have added some self rescue stirrups each side of my kayak to assist righting a heavy, fully rigged wide beam fishing kayak, along with a paddle float. I will never wear a co2 auto life jacket on my kayak again, but wear a good PFD designed for kayak fishing. I also now have a farmer john wet suit for cold water, as the ideal of a dry suit along with warm layers is outside my budget at this time. Incidentally, I lost none of my gear because I tethered everything. And my Gopro and Garmin fish finder suffered no problems even though they were immersed for at least 30 minuits. I know, its a lot more than 2c worth but the rest is free because I just wanted to share my experience with you.
Bottom line is. Always wear your PFD and dress for the conditions you are kayaking in. Also, don’t underestimate the potential of sub 70 deg f water to end your life.
Even if your waders do fill with water, they are the same weight as the water you are in. The problem occurs when you try to get out of the water. So they do not “drag you down” in non fast moving water.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,