Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 22, 2024, 08:29:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:13:08 PM]

[Today at 08:32:04 AM]

[Today at 08:23:42 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 05:54:13 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 12:36:33 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Outside kayak Storage  (Read 3506 times)

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
I'm looking at storing my Hobie Revo outside at my house, but I don't want to damage it or have it stolen. Currently it's being kept in the garage at my parents house, but it's inconvenient to drive over 30 minutes any time I want to take it out. Does anyone keep their kayak outside, and if so, what do you do to protect it from the elements and keep it from growing mold?

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Wash it once a month if mold is an issue, a good quality cable lock will keep it from landfloating away. If you have space and resources you could also build a custom box/microshed to store it in but remember the sun exposure for long periods is bad for it so cover it or shade it but watch that it don't get too hot if tarped off or it could warp the hull.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Also watch out for yellowjacket nests forming. DAMHIK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Also watch out for yellowjacket nests forming. DAMHIK
I met a kayaker on a river who was shaking and washing out his kayak.  He had left it outside on the ground when he was on a trip, and some ants built a nest in it.  He didn't realize they were in the kayak until he was on the river and they started crawling around on him.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 10:05:37 PM by pmmpete »

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
I'm looking at storing my Hobie Revo outside at my house, but I don't want to damage it or have it stolen. Currently it's being kept in the garage at my parents house, but it's inconvenient to drive over 30 minutes any time I want to take it out. Does anyone keep their kayak outside, and if so, what do you do to protect it from the elements and keep it from growing mold?

Kevin

I had a similar problem, no garage. For protection on a budget I got a 17 X 20 car port from Harbor Freight (for kayaks) and a 20x10 from Costco for my power boat. Works for me.
I know the covers only last a couple of years but its all I can afford. When the time comes Costco has a roof replacement for $50 or thereabouts.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

Kevin

I had a similar problem, no garage. For protection on a budget I got a 17 X 20 car port from Harbor Freight (for kayaks) and a 20x10 from Costco for my power boat. Works for me.
I know the covers only last a couple of years but its all I can afford. When the time comes Costco has a roof replacement for $50 or thereabouts.
I used one of those for years to park an old military truck in, if you bolt the legs to railroad ties your golden even in higher winds. I have seen them with that waive plastic roofing material screwed to the top looked and functioned real nice.

Shannon

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
i keep 2 kayaks on the floor with pool noodles under them and the most used on on a pvc stand.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
Thanks for the ideas! I think I'm gonna order a carport for it.

Coho Mojo

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
We just bought a couple outbacks and were told to store the yaks upside down and to be sure there is no standing water in the boat. They said they have seen damage when water in the pole holders froze and cracked the boat.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
my Oasis is stored outside here at the coast and a quick pressure wash every six months or so has it looking like new...
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod

I have a Costco and a Harbor Freight model. This has been the worst snow season since I moved here from CA and have been very busy clearing the snow off the roofs as they don't take much of a snow load. I found the Harbor Freight one easier to clear of snow as it has a steeper angle and the snow slides off easier.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon

I have a Costco and a Harbor Freight model. This has been the worst snow season since I moved here from CA and have been very busy clearing the snow off the roofs as they don't take much of a snow load. I found the Harbor Freight one easier to clear of snow as it has a steeper angle and the snow slides off easier.
Spray them with cooking spray a few days or so before the snow or for more $$ silicon spray :banjo:

Shannon

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod

Spray them with cooking spray a few days or so before the snow or for more $$ silicon spray :banjo:

Thanks JoJo. I'm going out right now to try that. I'm getting to old to be pulling all that snow off the roof and my wife cant reach high enough. lol

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod

Awesome tip Jojo. I owe you a beer. I tried the cooking spray and this morning, I had 4" of snow to clear off the car ports. All I had to do was shake the left and right front supports and the snow slid right off the Harbor Freight one. Couldn't shake it of the Costco one but some light brushing of the roof from inside and it slid off really easy. It took about 5 min to clear the two instead of 30 min. Did you find any need to re-apply the cooking oil between snow showers? My dog likes your idea too, he thinks the snow that slides off tastes like french fries.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
Just did them once a month when needed so like 2-3 apps for me when we lived on the hill in Newberg.

Shannon

anything