Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:08:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:00:22 PM]

by Spot
[Today at 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Oregon Crabbing Regulations  (Read 1380 times)

jimmyd

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Oct 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm from California and going on a RV trip up the Oregon Coast.  I've done this in 2015 and it was a blast.  Unfortunately I haven't got a way to mount my kayak yet with my 5th wheel.  I will be in Coos Bay, Newport, and Winchester Bay.

I have 2 questions:

Where can I get a fishing license?

What are the regulations for Crab Traps?  I can't seem to find the details on the ring size with the rotten cotton.  I have Promar and Danielson crab traps.

Thanks,
JimmyD

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm from California and going on a RV trip up the Oregon Coast.  I've done this in 2015 and it was a blast.  Unfortunately I haven't got a way to mount my kayak yet with my 5th wheel.  I will be in Coos Bay, Newport, and Winchester Bay.

I have 2 questions:

What are the regulations for Crab Traps?  I can't seem to find the details on the ring size with the rotten cotton.  I have Promar and Danielson crab traps.

Thanks,
JimmyD

1.  online is easiest.  There's a new system this year.  If you are travelling through Eureka during business hours you can stop by and print it out at my office on waterprrof paper.

2.  3 trap limit per person.  There isn't any rules regarding escape rings or the like in Oregon.  No females allowed.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions:

Thanks,
JimmyD

1.  online is easiest.  There's a new system this year.  If you are travelling through Eureka during business hours you can stop by and print it out at my office on waterprrof paper.

2.  3 trap limit per person.  There isn't any rules regarding escape rings or the like in Oregon.  No females allowed.

Clarification correction.
Other than the limit of 3 crab traps/rings per person, you can use a dip net, rake or bare hands as well.
Dungeness crab = 12 male @ 5 3/4".
Red Rock crab = 24 any size, any sex. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Hi Everyone,

I have 2 questions:

Thanks,
JimmyD
Too bad you’re not coming a little farther north, I got an extra Native propel, and could give you some yak hauling ideas. Pending timing of course.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
The rule of thumb is months with names that contain an "R" are best for crabbing. If your trip is in the near future don't be disappointed if their shells are soft and only half full of meat. They just molted. Late November is prime time, but the weather can be downright miserable.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
The rule of thumb is months with names that contain an "R" are best for crabbing. If your trip is in the near future don't be disappointed if their shells are soft and only half full of meat. They just molted. Late November is prime time, but the weather can be downright miserable.
But they are easier to pick for crab cakes when they aren't full. :icon_thumright:  I got way over my limit in Nehalem Bay last week and had to do some serious sorting and eliminating ones with missing appendages  to get down to my limit.  They were all full, but it was Jurly 9th when I pulled them. :laughing7:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I used to go by the "R" rule for years and for the most part it held true.  But, I have been fooled by this many times over in the past 15 years where I  had crappy under limits of barely legal size during those months, yet full limits of solid crab averaging 6 -7" in summer.

Just go crabbing!

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

T Coastal

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Apr 2019
The crabbing has been weird lately. I find plenty that are full. The "R" rule used to be true though for some reason I believe it's changing a little. Maybe I'm just getting lucky.
2020 Hobie Outback
2018 Ocean Kayak Prowler 13

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Like Insayn said, "Just go crabbing!"  I plan to drop some pots off Social Security Beach this weekend on the Columbia River.  I hope it was as good as last August when we did the same.

anything