Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2026, 09:52:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[October 03, 2026, 05:47:33 PM]

[September 29, 2026, 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: Transducer removal  (Read 6231 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

rustyski

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
  • Posts: 86
Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading from my Lowrance Elite 4 HDI to a Humminbird Helix 5 with all the bells and whistles.  I bought my kayak second hand, and the transducer is mounted inside the hull with epoxy of some sort.  I am wondering what is the best method people would recommend for me to be able to remove the transducer from the kayak without damaging it or my hull.

Thanks!
Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd


Amik

  • Herring
  • **
  • Location: idaho
  • Date Registered: May 2015
  • Posts: 40
On my Trident 13 I Gooped my transducer in place. After a couple of years I thought I would see if I could get it off. That Goop is hard as a rock. Transducer is staying there for the life of the kayak, it’s there if needed and not really in the way if not.


MonkeyFist

  • Lingcod
  • *****
  • Location: Corvallis, OR
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
  • Posts: 380
Heat or kinetic energy.
I'd try the latter first.
Flip the yak over and whack adjacent to where the transducer is glued on.
A big rubber mallet.
Lots of epoxies are short on impact resistance.
That doesn't work?  Break out the heat gun.


FireFly

  • Salmon
  • ******
  • Location: Lowell, Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
  • Posts: 533
Heat gun and utility knife along with some patience works well for me.
Red Hobie Outback

2019 AOTD 5th place


rustyski

  • Perch
  • ***
  • Location: Seattle, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
  • Posts: 86
Got it out with a small chisel and some elbow grease. Looks like it was put in place with some sort of caulking rather than an epoxy, so a lot of it peeled off really easily.
Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd


 

anything