Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 06:14:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:47:00 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: NCKA Rescue down at Shelter Cove, California  (Read 13231 times)

Abking

• Lingcod
  • I put on the Gimme Shelter Tournament Series
  • Date Registered: Oct 2006
Hey, Brethren to the north.  I haven't been around here in a while, so forgive me for showing up just to share something that may have been reviewed and discussed here already.  Wanderingrichard suggested I should contact Pole2 and share my rescue video from our recent "Gimme Shelter III" kayak fishing gathering at Shelter Cove.  I figured I'd just post it up, as I'm pretty sure Allen would be fine with it.

We've got a discussion going about this inside the Gimme Shelter fishing report on NCKA.

See you at Gimme Shelter

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Thanks, Eric, i had hoped you'd do this.

Folks, this is why you never yak alone.. it's unfortunate that one of the members particiapting in a major group event needed to be rescued, but his yak started taking on water, then sinking, and he was being pushed into a rock outcropping by growing surge.

in the process his lost his radio ability and several other things.. thankfully there were lots of fellow yakkers around him to help out, including an event manager onshore who took charge and started a major rescue services operation in motion..

again, it's unfortunate, but it happens.. and yes the guy is alright.
rich
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 11:43:14 AM by wanderingrichard »
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
  • Date Registered: May 2009
well done
shows the importance of not only fishing with a buddy, but keeping proper gear on board as well (wearing PDFs, VHF radios, etc)
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish
ProStaff NRSJackson Kayak | PK Lures | YakAngler

bjoakland

• Salmon
  • Piscis Venator
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I have one relevant question.  How long was he in the water?
•• If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~ Doug Larson ••

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Anyone know if he had flotation bags or other positively buoyant materials such as pool noodles in his kayak?

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
I have one relevant question.  How long was he in the water?

Ab was there, so could report that better, but the video is 10 minutes long, minus a couple cuts, so i'd say close to 15 minutes if i had to wager a guess

Anyone know if he had flotation bags or other positively buoyant materials such as pool noodles in his kayak?

reading through the threads, no.
http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,17965.0.html
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish

steelheadr

• Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
That looks like a great group to paddle/fish with. I think I'll be looking to head south for an event or two next year. Time to keep an eye on the event calendar...

Jay
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again

Abking

• Lingcod
I'm pretty sure there was no flotation in the yak.  Apparently it (a Trident 13?) took water through the rod pod just from paddling and messy seas.  I think Al may need a bigger boat like the X-Factor, but this also brought to light some others' problems with the Trident and this leakage issue.  Time in the water - you're right, richard, it was likely around 15 minutes.  He had a farmer john on, as did everyone I believe, so there wasn't much of a concern about exposure issues.  He had a hold of Domenic's X-Factor right by Dom's left hand, so it appeared that he was able to keep his shoulders (and the top of his farmer john) up above the water line, and that would make a huge difference vs just bobbing around.

Our discussions on NCKA that have sprouted out of this are 1) should we have called the Coast Guard? and 2) can we set some safety standard for kayaking the ocean and somehow enforce/encourage it through the kayaking community?  Our desire to be safer is ongoing, of course, but there is also a concern that we will harm the reputation of the sport if we "need assistance" more often than other groups.  I'm considering this issue carefully, and I feel that we need to identify just what criteria would qualify for needing to call a mayday while kayaking.  I also feel there should be an understanding of equipment to be carried and policies to be followed while kayaking on the ocean.  I'm not looking to regulate my friends, and I'm pretty pleased with the level of equipment, flotation and knowledge that I roll with, but I know that the next time I organize an event (Gimme Shelter IV next May  :))  I will consider having some requirements like paddling with a partner and having radios.

We had more than 45 yaks on the water competing in a free tournee where we had prizes for the top 10 or so.  We went with overall length, one fish per man.  Jedmo won it with a 56" wolf eel!  Next were lings:  34, 32, 31, a couple 30's, a few 28's.  I scored a new PFD with the 32" ling in third.   :)  On Friday (before the tournee Saturday) my good friend Domenic caught a 39"/24# Pacific Halibut about a mile offshore - unheard of!

The rescue occured Sunday morning when about 2 dozen of us were fishing near shore in the mid morning. 
See you at Gimme Shelter

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I don't have speakers on the computer I am sitting at, so I may have missed some chatter.  I have a question as to why he couldn't have been hoisted up across two bows to get him out of the water until he had a way to get onto a real boat? 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

The Nothing

• De nihilo nihil
  • Sturgeon
  • De nihilo nihil
  • YakFish@IOL
Our discussions on NCKA that have sprouted out of this are 1) should we have called the Coast Guard? and 2) can we set some safety standard for kayaking the ocean and somehow enforce/encourage it through the kayaking community? 

When you posted this video, I took the time to visit NCKA for the first time today, found that thread and read all 14 pages of it.  IMO you all took the steps necessary that day.  There isn't time to second guess things and its not a place for what-ifs.

I do, however, think that some sort of safety standard would be great.  But realistically not likely to happen.  Look at all the other safety standards: seat belts, helmets, car seats, etc... Things that even legally are not followed and cost lives.  I think it is part of our community, however, to take care of each other and educate.  GTGs like this probably would be best to start with a safety meeting at the surf.  Get people in the water, reboarding exercises, surf entry and exit, and the like.
~Isaac
Blog 'YakFish

Abking

• Lingcod
Quote from: The Nothing
GTGs like this probably would be best to start with a safety meeting at the surf.  Get people in the water, reboarding exercises, surf entry and exit, and the like.

My thoughts exactly...  and a complete fantasy!  This thing went from a "hookup" posted 3 months early, to about 40 people saying they're going within days of posting it!  When it rolled around there was no controlling anyone or putting them on a schedule of any kind of show-up-here-for-this type of thing...  It was CLEARLY understood that anyone wishing to fish here was doing so on their own call, with their own safety pre-requisites, and their own plan.  The first morning of fishing - Friday the 15th which was the opener and one day before our tournee - about a dozen and a half of us were gearing up to head out in the fog.  I called everyone in and offered laminated maps of the area and encouraged all to stay together.  We proceeded to head out, spread out, the fog lifted, and all went well all weekend...  Some did well Saturday afternoon near shore - just outside the breakers near the hotels.  Sunday morning everyone wanted some of that, and that's what led to the incident.  I'd never fished that much right near shore.  It was awesome to catch huge blacks and other fish so close in, but I'm used to being out in at least 40-60' of water a half mile offshore or so.  Being near shore definitely added to the hazard that presented itself. 
See you at Gimme Shelter

FishSniffer

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Mirage Adv., Outback SUV, OK Scrambler XT's
  • Midcoast Chapter of Northwest Steelheaders
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
AbKing, What camera were you using for your video on this adventure?

Abking

• Lingcod
OTW I usually use an Olympus waterproof (to 10 feet deep) and I haven't been too thrilled with it's audio or battery life indicator.  The rescue video was taken on my Sony (not waterproof) and it's got way better audio and better video too - not to mention way better battery life indicator!

I've found that, in general, the little digital cameras take great video.

:)
See you at Gimme Shelter

FishSniffer

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Mirage Adv., Outback SUV, OK Scrambler XT's
  • Midcoast Chapter of Northwest Steelheaders
  • Date Registered: Apr 2008
Yes, I have an Olympus Tough 8000.  Took it out last weekend for the first time and I'm not that impressed with the video but probably need to fool with the settings.

jself

Like I said before.....float bags dudes. I really don't think pool noodles will provide enough flotation when you have over 800 pounds of water in your kayak. the only think that will is air.

I personally think a coast guard rescue in that situation is ridiculous. Proper training would have shown there are about 500 different ways to get a swimmer back to shore in mild conditions like that.

But all said and done, every one was ok and that's all that matters.

I know people here tend to scoff at my emphasis on kayaking, because you are all fisherman to start, rather than kayakers. But the reality is, you are using a kayak, therefore you are a kayaker who happens to be fishing and should learn as much as you can about kayaking....you already know how to fish.

I miss shelter cove!