Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 01:52:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:18:48 PM]

[Today at 07:37:19 AM]

[Today at 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:02 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:36:26 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 07:06:28 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:37:37 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:35:15 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Lake McConaughy Nebraska  (Read 11935 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Anyone here ever been to or fished "Big Mac" (Lake McConaughy, a reservoir of the Platte River) in SW Nebraska?

I traveled out there in 2006 for a truck camper show, and spent a day along one of the beaches.  Met with some of the locals that say that this lake is the closest thing they have in the state for a clean beach with water.  To me, it resembles Mexico along the baja area.  The sand was soft, the water blue and clear, and you could even find fresh water clams the size of baseballs.  The big thing out there for fishing, is the walleye.  However, after reading a bit more on it, it looks like there are wipers (not sure what these are), white bass, catfish, northern pikes and other game fish.

There are several camp grounds along the north shores of the lake that have power, water, sewer hookups, and showers.  However, if you have a 4wd you can drive right down to the water and setup camp if you like. There is a fee for sand camping though (can't remember off hand what it is though).

Kinda thinking of making another trip out there in a year or two for a week, just to play in the kayaks and target some fish.

It's a gorgeous lake in the middle of nowhere.  Actually just outside of Ogallala, Nebraska.   

(pics hacked from the internet)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
I had no idea any lakes existed in Nebraska. I thought it was just mile after mile of corn field.

Wipers are white bass x striped bass hybrids.  In case you were wondering what white bass are they are much smaller members of the same genus striped bass are in (i.e the genus Morone).  As with many hybrids, they have robust growth and I usually sterile which makes them attractive to game managers stocking lakes.

Brian

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

deepcolor

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2008
I've been there but it was a very long time ago.  I don't recall it looking quite as tropical as those pictures.  One thing I do remember is the wind.  And I've heard others talk about wind there too.  Maybe check the wind forecast before you make the drive.
...as soon as the Advil kicks in...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Thanks Brian, nice to have a fish translator on board.  From the looks of the fish fillets I saw, nobody was starv'in. 

Yup the wind can pick up out there.  Probably a good time to employ a sail.  ;D

It is in Tornado Alley, but that is part of the glamor.  Out here we have sharks and rogue waves, over there random wind and tornados.  While I was there in early June, I don't recall any heavy wind, but it was nice to have a breeze, as it pushed out some of the humidity, and alot of the bugs.  Not sure what it looks like in other times of the year, but when I was there, it was tropical enough for me.

This shot of my kids, was from our campspot on Ogallala Lake. It's on the otherside of the dam on the east end. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15