Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 03:32:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 28, 2024, 03:18:57 PM]

[May 28, 2024, 02:01:22 PM]

[May 28, 2024, 01:59:41 PM]

[May 28, 2024, 12:18:48 PM]

[May 28, 2024, 07:37:19 AM]

[May 28, 2024, 06:19:06 AM]

[May 27, 2024, 09:56:01 PM]

by PNW
[May 27, 2024, 03:12:21 PM]

[May 27, 2024, 07:56:46 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 10:50:02 AM]

[May 24, 2024, 06:36:26 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 07:06:28 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:37:37 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:35:15 AM]

[May 23, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Cold water survival, it may save your life.  (Read 7194 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I gleaned this from iFish, as I thought it was some really good eye opening info.

Be sure to watch the video, too.

http://gcaptain.com/maritime/blog/cold_water/

Interesting that at the end of the video, the guy is standing right by two SOT kayaks.  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:52:20 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

holtfisher

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
This is superb and no doubt will be eye opening. Interesting that there is  no mention of a dry suit, or protection beyond a life preserver.  Am thinking that emersion in waders sure looks like it might be a real problem after a few minutes in cold water.  holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Thanks Insayn! That was very informative! Especially the vid.

Clearly, WEAR a PFD and die later.
Interesting that they didn't mention head gear. The two guys that they took to hypothermia, the one's who lasted the longest with pfd's on, also had on hats.

Perhaps they did not want to cloud the message "PFD's WORK!" with extra information, but it seems it at least deserved a mention.

BTW: Wearing a hat with your PFD is a very good idea.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
This is superb and no doubt will be eye opening. Interesting that there is  no mention of a dry suit, or protection beyond a life preserver.  Am thinking that emersion in waders sure looks like it might be a real problem after a few minutes in cold water.  holt

I would think that if the waders were open topped and not sealed with some sort of a dry top, you'd really be screwed without a PFD.   

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

holtfisher

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009

Would always want a pfd no matter what.  Looking at this video and projecting ahead, it makes me wonder if waders, wader belly belt, dry top and pfd are really safe if in the water for more than a few minutes.
holt
Hobie Revo, Mirage Drive

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Thanks a ton for posting that INSAYN! I think that is info that EVERYONE who goes out fishing in the PNW should know.

I was out on the Nestucca today and was wearing my neoprene waders, and my Extrasport dry top that has a double waist closure system over the waders. I wanted to test out the combo to see if I would be taking on water if I ever went for a swim unexpectedly. I found a nice pool that didn't have any current and was between waist and chest deep. I leaned back and floated for a good couple of minutes with my pfd on, walked out, and found that I was completely dry underneath my dry top. It was a good thing that I tested it out too, but I'll get to that in a later post. :D

My point is that if you have waders and a dry top on and have to take a swim, you are going to be kept pretty dry. For this outfit, just make sure you have a good quality dry top that it is cinched down well at all times, and also make sure you have a quality base layer underneath. Sure, water may start creeping in after a few minutes, but it will be coming in slowly you may not really notice it. While it's creeping under the seal of your dry top, it's going to be held close to your core, so the water may start warming up a little. Then, by the time it spills into your waders and soaks through your base layer, chances are it is no longer very cold water, just sort of cold if that.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
I seem to have just enough chub around the middle to help with the sealing between my waders and drytop.  That, and I usually have two layers of fleece in both pants and tops.  I've huli'd or fell out of my yak in the surf 4 out of the 5 times coming in (some way crazier than others), and each time I was completely under water at one point or another.  Not once did I take on any water, nor could I even feel the cold temperature of the water around me.  I think where waders and even dry tops could be an issue is with a crash tear that would allow water in readily.   :o

DTS

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
Great posting INSAYN!  Sure gives a great eye opener for a newbie.  I appreciate the info.  I will definitely share this info with my kids as they are approaching that Insayn age.    ;)
PROGRESS IS JUST BEING THERE!

• Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Waders and a drytop. Hmmmm, haven't we been here before? ;D

My take is neoprene waders are in a different class than breathables (or rubber ones for that matter) in that neoprene will offers some insulation even flooded. The others don't.

I've swum (?) at PC in neoprene's comfortably and dumped a couple of quarts of water out when I took them off. I've since gone through a couple of paddle tops and now I don't take on any water other than sweat.

I have also been PAINFULLY cold in a breathable drysuit with inadequate insulation (jeans). I was dry though!

My point is that you need a system and not a single part that makes or breaks your level of comfort as well as survival ability.

Except maybe a PFD.
(and a hat ;D)

"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Yes, I'll agree. I guess breathable waders would be a little bit different. I still think they would help you more than hurt you though in the event of a unplanned swim.
Yes, this topic is strangely familiar...  ::)

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Yes, I'll agree. I guess breathable waders would be a little bit different. I still think they would help you more than hurt you though in the event of a unplanned swim.

2 mm farmer john under the drysuit or waders.  Best of both worlds ....

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

I get the feeling you have a good story brewing for us.  Spill it, and be sure to show us the unedited version of the video, as well.  ;D

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007

I get the feeling you have a good story brewing for us.  Spill it, and be sure to show us the unedited version of the video, as well.  ;D

INSAYN, your drift anchor arms work really, really well.   :laugh:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

I sense some humor in your typing voice, too.   :confused3:

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com

Yeah, we'll leave it at that for now, until I get a little more time on my hands to write out a meaningful report.  :D

2011 Angler Of The Year

anything