Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 29, 2026, 08:37:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 12:06:23 PM]

[September 12, 2026, 10:21:13 PM]

[September 10, 2026, 07:02:35 AM]

[September 08, 2026, 08:56:45 AM]

by jed
[August 21, 2026, 05:45:53 PM]

[August 21, 2026, 04:28:27 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 08:30:22 PM]

[August 20, 2026, 07:10:29 PM]

[August 11, 2026, 04:33:52 PM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:33:18 AM]

[August 09, 2026, 11:31:45 AM]

[August 07, 2026, 05:09:12 PM]

by jp52
[August 03, 2026, 05:06:39 PM]

[July 31, 2026, 08:40:54 AM]

[July 30, 2026, 03:52:25 PM]

Picture Of The Month



2025 & 2026 AOTD champ Nobaddays
with a trophy lingcod

Topic: REEL WANTED  (Read 3772 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

kallitype

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Location: Vashon Island, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
  • Posts: 1673
Need to replace my burned-up Avel MXL----got one you don't use, or an Accurate??
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy


steelheadr

  • Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Location: obviously not fishing...
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
  • Posts: 1865
Need to replace my burned-up Avel MXL----got one you don't use, or an Accurate??

How about a Penn 321 GTI? Donated to the cause...

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5698.msg59136/topicseen.html#new

"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again



Ling Banger

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Location: Lincoln Beach, OR
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
  • Posts: 2589
How did you burn up your Avet? Maybe it might save some of us from making the same mistake with ours. I have the MXJ and I would hate to lose it, I love that reel.
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy


steelheadr

  • Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Location: obviously not fishing...
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
  • Posts: 1865
How did you burn up your Avet? Maybe it might save some of us from making the same mistake with ours. I have the MXJ and I would hate to lose it, I love that reel.

focus on the "burn up" not the reel...  http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php/topic,5692.0.html
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again



kallitype

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Location: Vashon Island, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
  • Posts: 1673
Steelheader---thanks, but I prefer non-levelwind reels----less things to get gummed up, or fail.  I loved my Avet, had better than 2 minutes of free-spool spin right outta the box, I fished the burned-up carcass out of the debris and sent it to Avet with a note saying "Look what happens when you set the drag too tight on a black marlin"!!  Hope they have a sense of humor....
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy


steelheadr

  • Participant in life...not spectator
  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Pay no attention to the man in the hat.
  • Peterberger Adventures
  • Location: obviously not fishing...
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
  • Posts: 1865
Steelheader---thanks, but I prefer non-levelwind reels----less things to get gummed up, or fail.  I loved my Avet, had better than 2 minutes of free-spool spin right outta the box, I fished the burned-up carcass out of the debris and sent it to Avet with a note saying "Look what happens when you set the drag too tight on a black marlin"!!  Hope they have a sense of humor....

Now that's funny. Let's hope they send you a shiny new one!  ;D

Good Luck
"Fast enough to get there...but slow enough to see. Not known for predictability"  Thanks to Jimmy Buffet for describing my life...again



kallitype

  • Sturgeon
  • *******
  • Vashon Island kayaker
  • Location: Vashon Island, WA
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
  • Posts: 1673
I found an ACCURATE Boss 270 on Bloody Decks at a good price, some say that Accurate makes the best reel for braid to 65#, drag to 30#.  They're popular for albacore, prolly overkill for kings (Unless I get lucky and make a trip to AK!!)
Never underestimate the ability of our policymakers to fail to devise and implement intelligent policy