Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 03:56:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:50:07 AM]

[Today at 07:06:28 AM]

[Today at 06:37:37 AM]

[Today at 06:35:15 AM]

[Today at 06:33:32 AM]

[Today at 06:29:12 AM]

[May 22, 2024, 03:13:08 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 04:51:49 PM]

[May 21, 2024, 01:07:12 PM]

[May 20, 2024, 11:40:28 AM]

by [WR]
[May 18, 2024, 04:51:53 PM]

[May 17, 2024, 08:35:26 PM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: screwing stuff to the Yak  (Read 3817 times)

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
Do you guys sink threaded inserts in your Yak when attaching stuff? or the screw and glue method?

I'm trying to use lmost exclusively plastics and stainless steel on hardware. there must be stainless steel inserts ?. I'm on my way to Englund so i guess ill  find out.
See ya on the water..
Roy

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I use nuts and bolts with the largest washers I can get away with for backing.  It doesn't always work out so well.  I was trying to add some Scotty mounts to the tankwell area of the yak and couldn't reach the backside to use nuts.  So I too am interested in other alternatives.

-Allen

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Some people swear by rivets and I've seen them do a pretty good job. Personally, I use stainless steel bolts and locknuts. I'm lucky w/ the X-Factor because the hatches are monster in size and give you a ton of access to the interior of the yak. If you can get that access I think that nuts and bolts are THE way to go.

Oh, and don't forget to always put down a liberal dose of Marine Goop around all holes made in your hull before you bolt down your new accessory. A hurried install WILL leak.

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
The guy at Englund Marine  said rivets.

Any type of insert would have to have a large flange and be installed from the inside, and it would have to be solid at the end of the threads so no water got through.i looked around at some websites but didnt see anything that would come close to working.

So I'm gonna use bolts and fender washers. Gonna have to finally break down and drill some holes..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:11:00 PM by coosbayyaker »
See ya on the water..
Roy

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
hmmmm.. the marine sealer i definitely can understand, and oversize washers [ btw, they're called "fender" washers] too.. would squeeze nuts aka expansion nuts work? these actually create their own washer when you tighten them & you should be able to get those at an automotive parts store in the self help section.. or even at lowes or home despot..use a fender washer under the squeeze nut and run it down till it expands like it's s'posed to.. that should give ya plenty bearing surface..question: would a marine grade RTV work as a sealer also?
Rich

Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Maybe I'm lazy, but I tend to just use sheet metal screws and marine goop.  First I drill a very small tap holes, add some goop, and then screw the object on.   I then cover the screw heads again with more goop.  The good thing about this method is that there is no need for access to some odd place within the hull to add any nuts.  Of course, I've never attempted to use this method to attach anything that bears a ton of weight.  Mostly fish finders, flush mounted rod holders, etc..

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Bsteves has got it. Coat and re-coat everything that goes through the hull w/ marine Goop. Accessory, flanges, bolts, etc..

Z
2010 Angler Of The Year

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
hmmmm.. the marine sealer i definitely can understand, and oversize washers [ btw, they're called "fender" washers] too.. would squeeze nuts aka expansion nuts work? these actually create their own washer when you tighten them & you should be able to get those at an automotive parts store in the self help section.. or even at lowes or home despot..use a fender washer under the squeeze nut and run it down till it expands like it's s'posed to.. that should give ya plenty bearing surface..question: would a marine grade RTV work as a sealer also?
Rich

im sure an expansion nut would work fine, does that have a locking feature?. I don't think i'd put one over a lock washer. , a lock washer or a  nylon locknut and a fender washer would be plenty IMO.

i don't have much experience sealing stuff from saltwater, but i imagine most silicone sealers would work,.I'm just gonna use the crystal clear silicone sealer i got at wally's since i bought 8 tubes for a home improvement job and only used two
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 12:31:38 PM by coosbayyaker »
See ya on the water..
Roy

CaptDick

• Plankton
  • CaptDick Enterprises - Kayak Fishing Accessories
  • Date Registered: Jun 2007
Hey all y'all (that's plural for y'all  ;) )

I'm sure most of you know about fasteners and kayaks but here is a link to some good info posted on the GKF site:

http://atlantakayakfishing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1237

I have another post somewhere about the relative strengths and weaknesses of rivets, screws, machine screws w/fender washers and locknuts, and well nuts.  I'll post it if I can find it. 

Zig Zag cleats are pretty neat for a quick release of you anchor rode (line).

The line does not have to be threaded around the cleat as much as is shown in the photo - half that much will hold it securely.
Paddle Safely and Fish Hard

Stan

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Those expanding rivets are just what I need.

-Allen

CaptDick

• Plankton
Those expanding rivets are just what I need.

-Allen

They are available on the CDE website on the Hardware page.

Stan

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
Also available from Hook1 Kayak fishing store. Great people and great way to support our kayak fishing bretherin!  ;)

Z

http://www.kayakfishinggear.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=75

2010 Angler Of The Year

CaptDick

• Plankton
I agree that Mark and Karen are great people to deal with at Hook 1.  Just as an FYI, CaptDick Enterprises has been supplying kayak fishing accessories to the kayak fishing community for many years.  CDE also supports many kayak angling club's tournaments throughout the country with product donations.  Including your own AOTY.    Thank you for your time.  :) 
Stan
www.CaptDick.net

Stan

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
CaptDick is supporting our AOTY this year with an anchor trolley and drift chute.  Hook1 has supported us in the past (our first NWKA derby) and probably would continue to do so if I asked (I haven't ... yet).  CaptDick is also sending me some of these fasteners to try and some extras as well.  I'll try them out and post the results when I have them to post.

It goes without saying, but I support those that support us.

-Allen

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
I got those rivets from Hook1.
 I have about 40 more of them and about the same # of pad-eyes.
 I'm no expert, but they have held everything I have attached to them quite well.
 How ever, I must caution you to use a GOOD rivet tool for these, as it is a long shank and good grip from tool is essential to a secure fastening. I had to remove a couple of the first ones I tried cuz I used a cheaper tool and they wobbled!!!!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.