Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 01:11:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

by jed
[May 14, 2024, 07:03:59 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Warm Socks  (Read 4747 times)

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I need a suggestion for warm socks for kayak fishing.  I have a Mirage Drive so my feet are exposed to the open air while pedaling.  I wear a neoprene waders with Sperry zip booties. Nothing leaks but every pair of wool socks I try doesn't keep me warm.

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Someone told me to try one of those disposable one time use hand warmers and stuff them in the toes of your waders. Should keep you warm all day, and they're fairly cheap. 
I just bought a paid of Fox River wool socks from Fisherman Marine. They are 83% wool and designed for 0 degree temperature. I haven't tried them yet but they look really well made. I may have to double up with another type of sock but I can't imagine I'll be cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 08:15:26 AM by Romanian Redneck »
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
I have really bad circulation to my extremities (common tall person issue I guess) so fingers and toes have always been an issue.  I think I have the tow thing down tho - I triple up on these socks:

http://www.rei.com/product/664970/rei-merino-wool-expedition-socks,-walnut?preferredSku=6649700124&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-6649700124&mr:referralID=d1efc72b-5822-11e2-b779-001b2166c62d

And am able to wade in the coldest rivers without issue.  It's the gloves thing I have yet to get down.  I feel like I've tried everything.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

Jammer

• KayakFishingOregon.com
  • Sturgeon
  • Kayak Fishing Oregon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I have great success with thick Smartwool socks. It seems to work. Make sure your shoes drain well too which helps keep the cold water off your feet.
• Stohlquist • Team Daiwa • Yakima Bait Company

2015 Hobie Fishing Team "Top Gun"
2012 Hobie Worlds Team USA - 19th place
2012 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2010 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place
2010 Cape Dis. Dungie Tourney - 1st place

KAYAK FISHING OREGON
www.youtube.com/jmrischer

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

I worked in Prudhoe Bay Alaska for the last 7 years and I hate having cold feet.
    I've been wearing these cold weather socks from Cabelas and have no cohttp://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Cold-Weather8482-Socks/732820.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D60%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsocks%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dsocks%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts%26x%3D28%26y%3D5&Ntt=socks&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Productsmplaints.

Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

ballardbrad

• Salmon
Thanks guys.  I currently have some REI wool socks and SmartWool that I use now under a neoprene stocking foot wader.  I'll give some of your suggestions a try.

Rory, I think you've been in Florida way too long. That's effecting your circulation. :)  See you next week perhaps when I get down there.  Here's some steelhead gloves I saw on the market.  Pretty spendy http://www.kastgear.com/shop/#ecwid:category=3358678&mode=product&product=14366287 .  Also, Seattle Marine has some inexpensive options for insulated gloves.  May check there for socks as well. Yaktrap showed me some great rubberized outer and insulated inner gloves he uses for snowboarding.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
The key to warm feet is dry socks and good circulation. I wear water proof boots everyday and nothing gets me crankier than wet cold feet. Here are a few of the key points I have learned over the years.

FEET MUST STAY DRY
Often times our feet get wet in water proof gear, not because it is leaking but instead because out feet soak our socks in sweat. You need to be able to pull the sweat away from your skin. Either with one layer of thicker premium socks or two layers of socks. All my socks are at least 75% wool.

TIGHT BOOTS = COLD FEET
You need to have some wiggle room in your boots. If you try and stuff two pairs of socks and dry suit socks into wet suit booties that were snug at the store you will cut off your circulation in your feet and can count on being cold.

BUY GOOD SOCKS
I would much rather own three pairs of good socks than 10 pairs of bad socks. For me I have found that wool is the only way to go and anytime I find a deal on merlino wool socks I buy several pairs. Watch your blends .... usually the 'value' pack wool socks barely have any wool in them.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

goldendog

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I use a pair of NRS Hydroskin socks inside my wetsuit booties when the weather is cold. They seem to do the job OK.
Fishing is much more than fish.  It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers.  ~Herbert Hoover

ballardbrad

• Salmon
All good points.  I just got back from Outdoor Emporium and picked up a pair of fleece lined neoprene socks by Gator for $23.00 http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Fleece-Lined-Neoprene-Socks/dp/B0010FD812 .  I'll try these out with my current set up.  I think booties being too tight could be my issue also.  That and having your legs extended in the pedal position tends to change circulation.  Might be might be a work in progress for winter fishing.

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
All good points.  I just got back from Outdoor Emporium and picked up a pair of fleece lined neoprene socks by Gator for $23.00 http://www.amazon.com/Gator-Fleece-Lined-Neoprene-Socks/dp/B0010FD812 .  I'll try these out with my current set up.  I think booties being too tight could be my issue also.  That and having your legs extended in the pedal position tends to change circulation.  Might be might be a work in progress for winter fishing.

Fleece lined Neoprene socks are what I use! Keeps me warm every time. I have also started to leave my boots unzipped when pedaling. Tends to give me better circulation.

Wobbler
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

SteveHawk

• ORC
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
thanks Wobbler.  You don't wear socks inside of the neoprene socks do you?

Oh yes! I have a big, thick pair of Smartwool socks to keep my feet dry.
"if you aren't living life on the edge, your just taking up space"  Thom Rock

Green Outback, Blue Revo

sumpNZ

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I have great success with thick Smartwool socks. It seems to work. Make sure your shoes drain well too which helps keep the cold water off your feet.

+1 on the Smartwool (or other Merino wool) socks.  I've found also adding liner socks does help as they wick better than the straight wool socks.  Also keep your legs insulated.  If they get cold no amount of socks will keep your feet warm.
2012 ORC 5th Place

SeaSlug

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jan 2013
When I wore waders I used polypropylene liners with heavy wool socks.

Rory

• Sturgeon
  • Rory's Internets Audio Blog
  • Date Registered: Jan 2010
Thanks guys.  I currently have some REI wool socks and SmartWool that I use now under a neoprene stocking foot wader.  I'll give some of your suggestions a try.

Rory, I think you've been in Florida way too long. That's effecting your circulation. :)  See you next week perhaps when I get down there.  Here's some steelhead gloves I saw on the market.  Pretty spendy http://www.kastgear.com/shop/#ecwid:category=3358678&mode=product&product=14366287 .  Also, Seattle Marine has some inexpensive options for insulated gloves.  May check there for socks as well. Yaktrap showed me some great rubberized outer and insulated inner gloves he uses for snowboarding.

Yeah, I've got those Kast gloves.  they aren't bad.  I don't think there's any huge difference between those and ski gloves.  THe issue is that you have to take gloves off often to re-tie, re-bait, a whole bunch of reasons.  And once you do generally your fingers get moist and it's very difficult to put gloves back on.  trying to put gloves on a wet hand is something that drives me frickin insane.  When I am out there fishing I want to fish, not wrestle with clothing items.

Thing that comes closest to working is a regular glove on the left hand (like the kast glove), and on the right hand an 8 mil nitrile glove with a fingerless glove over that.  That leaves enough dexterity to re-bait and re-tie.  But that has a limited life span.  Once it gets wet you have to replace it.  When the digits start going cold it's hard to get them back, since outerwear relies on your own heat to keep you warm.

I usually end up bringing a small bag of gloves along.  Lame.

It sucks when you're out there in the elements and you've dressed properly and your body is warm, but your fingers (or toes) ache with cold.  really impacts my enjoyment.  There has to be a better glove system for cold/wet weather fishing.
"When you get into one of these groups, there's only a couple ways you can get out. One, is death. The other...mental institutions"

anything