Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:33:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Homer winter king derby  (Read 15466 times)

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Dang no pictures of me? Guess I'll wait a few years for a magazine to print one of me

Foul_hooked

• Perch
  • I'd rather be fishing
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Cool rimfirematt thanks for sharing.
Good luck On your next go round!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ok.  Well time to wrap up this thread with a final report.  It was a lot of fun but pretty expensive to participate.  You have to realize the fishing is slow but that one fish could be worth a pretty penny.  The winning boat actually caught the first and sixth place fish.  With the side bets, they took home I think nearly $38,000!!!!

So Here's a short video of the day.  Sorry we lost you rimfirematt.  The video of the kayaks was provided to me by Alaskaoutdoorjournal.com

Lot of the photos were taken by Michele from the K-Krewzer vessel.

If you get sea sick easily, you might want to take a dramamine or two before watching.  Its amazing how still pictres and videos can look so very different even though they were taken at the same time.

I had a blast!  I will be back!!!!

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Awesome follow-up guys!  Glad to hear that everyone made it out and back safely.  You guys are hard-core!

-Spot-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Awesome follow-up guys!  Glad to hear that everyone made it out and back safely.  You guys are hard-core!

-Spot-

It was a blast!  We got a nice little mention in one of Alaska's top internet fishing sites...
http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Fishing/2013homer_winter_king_salmon_tournament_results.html

Hope for more folks at the Anchor point Derby! 

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
That's pretty cool that they mentioned you kayakers.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

akfishergal

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Any idea who the OTHER three kayakers are who keep showing up in the anecdotal count? My guess is that you three were the only ones, that all accounts subsequent to the CofC early speculation in the ADN article (that there could be as many as six kayaks) has morphed into fact with the unverified retelling.  If there ARE three other hardy souls out there, though, I'd like to bring them onto the forum...

rimfirematt

• Salmon
  • Hit Me up on Facebook!
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I sure don't. I didn't even buy a derby ticket, kenaiguy got his the day before and they were talking about 6 kayakers a couple weeks before the start of the derby. So their could be as many as 5 unknowns

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Any idea who the OTHER three kayakers are who keep showing up in the anecdotal count? My guess is that you three were the only ones, that all accounts subsequent to the CofC early speculation in the ADN article (that there could be as many as six kayaks) has morphed into fact with the unverified retelling.  If there ARE three other hardy souls out there, though, I'd like to bring them onto the forum...

My thoughts exactly.  I'd really like to know who they are and level of fishing.  I'm thinking maybe residents of Halibut Cove or Seldovia perhaps?  I know we were the only three hitting the bluffs, but as Matt pointed out there should be five others. At $100 bucks a pop, I'm sure it wasn't just a donation..  Of course the weather could have turned a few back.   I may try and contact cliffhanger to see if he knows on the AOD forums.

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Well to answer akgishergal's question, I got  an email from a derby rep saying I was the only kayak registered for the tournament. So the other folks were just phantom participants. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

anything