Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 04:13:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:35:37 PM]

[Today at 03:08:01 PM]

[Today at 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 01:49:12 PM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:59:33 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:42:05 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 11:40:13 AM]

by Spot
[May 29, 2024, 11:32:10 AM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Rod/Reel selection for kayaking  (Read 10887 times)

rustyski

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Hi all,

In looking at equipment, I am not sure what to look for as far as rods and reels that would work well with a kayak. I imagine you want something long enough to pass in front of the kayak bow, but not so long that if you have to high stick to net a fish that you're busting your rod. 

I mainly intend to fish for salmon and bottom fish, with the occasional sturgeon trip on the Columbia or Willamette Rivers, and any suggestions for rods/reels that you've had success with would be appreciated.  Right now I have an 8' 6" Lamiglas Classic Glass downrigger rod paired with an Abu Garcia C4.  I plan on upgrading the reel to a Shimano Tekota with a line counter once I save up.
Boats:
2019 Hobie Outback

Event Finishes:
2020 AOTY 5th Place
2020 Tiny Fish Slam Winner
2019 Tiny Fish Slam 2nd

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
Surely you will get many different opinions because its more of a preference, but just about anything will work with a kayak that you normally would any other way. Even a Barbie pole!

I find a 6 or 6-1/2 rod is perfect for me for reaching around the bow on a 13 ft kayak. I have a 5 foot rod that I absolutely LOVE but does not feel right on the kayak. I have also come to learn that you don't need big rods and reels for the type of fishing you are highlighting. Medium to Medium heavy action. Smaller is better in this sense and lighter if you can to save your arms. The C4 is a great reel and so is the Tekota, but he only thing I use my line counter reels for is trolling to know my depth. Now I instinctively count pulls or mark my line with fingernail polish. Otherwise I would suggest you reconsider why you want a line counter.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
You opened the can of worms again  :D. For bottomfish I like a 6'6" rod in. I use tsunami rods(sapphire and white hot) all under 50 bucks and have handled 7'-8' sturgeon. I don't own one but I I see lots of ugly stick tiger rods for bottom fish and sturgeon. For salmon I like a 9'-10'6".I use okuma SST and celilo rods and love them(personal preference). They are a great price and performance is great for entry level.I have used them for salmon,catfish, sturgeon.the celilo is a tad stiffer but its my favorite.

I ordered a Penn squall 20 level wind from big fish sports and I love it($20 cheaper than anywhere else).I also use a Penn 209. both for bottomfish and sturgeon. Salmon I like the daiwa 300L.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

Combat Vet

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
8wt 9 foot fly rod!

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
8wt 9 foot fly rod!

Like I said... Even Barbie poles!  :booty:
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Rods I like about 6 ft. I like them super fast action sets hook better and control us better. . Slow action just makes netting  harder.

For reels I like lever drags. I'm constantly adjusting drag and it's much easier and more precise with a lever drag. I use release sg, aver sx, and Shimano tld
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

dandj1958

• Rockfish
  • I fish like a girl
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
If you ask my dear hubby, he says depends on the fishing.  So he has 15+ rods.  I have three- one being a tiny 2 foot midget rod.  I tend to like shorter poles as long as they reach over the front of my kayak (Revo11).
Have fun!
Julie
AKA mrs. dannybay
2015 Hobie Revo 11
2012 Hobie Revo 11

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Your 8'6" salmon rod with the Abu c4 is a great combo to start with and you can certainly use that to fish for salmon, sturgeon, and bottom fish if you wanted to.

Your next upgrade is probably a shorter bottom fishing rod with a little more power for lifting lingcod off the bottom.    The classic budget combo for this is a 7' ugly stick tiger with something like a Penn gti 320.    A more modern alternative would be a 7' inshore rod combo.   These are basically salt resistant, beefed up, bass fishing rods and reels.   They're lighter in your hand and unless your bouncing really big jigs for lings they're a lot more fun for bottom fishing.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Definitely get the Tekota- best line counter reel on the market IMO.  If they made it in a left hand model everyone would be using them.  I love the line counter for bottom fish as well as salmon.  Salmon and jigging rods are easy to come by on sale.  Just switch out the reel for different situations.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Combat Vet

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Anyone can catch fish on gear, once you catch something on a fly you will be hooked!

Great Bass 2

• Catch And Cook (CNC)
  • Rockfish
  • The Art and Science of Fishing
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
For jigging a lot of guys use a Trevala rod matched with a Lexa or Revo.

I agree that the Tekota is a great line counter.
Heroes on the Water Guide
O.K. Malibu 2XL
Hobie Adventure Island
Eddyline Caribbean 12
No Sponsors, Not Prostaff, Just Fishin

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Anyone can catch fish on gear, once you catch something on a fly you will be hooked!

+ 1/2  (I'd give it a +1 if not for the backhand at conventional gear...)
Everything will be all right in the end, so if it's not all right, then it's not yet the end.

CraigVM62

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
My arm length allows me to reach around even my 15" kayak with a 7" rod.  For me, anything 8" plus makes getting the fish within range of my net more difficult.      I picked up some cheap gear for my first season fishing from a kayak.  Especially since I paddle,  I figured there would be a learning curve juggling gear and I did not want to sacrifice an Avet or Calcutta during that learning process.   Now that I often take friends out in the kayaks, that cheap gear is what I lend them to use.

I used to think that Bigfoot might exist. Then I saw the reality shows where they are looking for them.  Now I am certain they don't

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have a Trevala S (6'3" 50-80 TVSC63MH) that I use for jigging.  I love it! It has caught everything from kelp to Halibut.  It is awesome or sturgeon, too. Get a line counter for your salmon rod and put the C4 on the Trevala.  That is a nice light-weight jigging set-up that can handle big fish. I use a C4 on mine for bottom fish (lings etc...) and if I am targeting sturgeon or halibut, I put a larger reel on.  I would love to get another light (30-40 TVSC63L) Trevala.

Skidplate

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012

I would love to get another light (30-40 TVSC63L) Trevala.
I've been using the ML version of the TVS, and love it. I'm amazed at its abilities, but I probably wouldn't go any lighter. It's pulled up some decent sized lings with moxy, but I can also see small cracks in the epoxy around the guides.
My wife thinks fishing is merely guys wandering around like idiots swinging sticks in the air. Many of my trips prove how smart she really is.