Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 12:44:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 16, 2024, 08:11:23 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 10:00:06 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:43:13 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 03:48:56 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by Zach
[June 13, 2024, 06:12:39 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 08:15:15 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Sunset Bay Angler Of The Day Recap and Standings  (Read 4240 times)

coosbayyaker

• Sturgeon
  • "Hooky Thing"
  • Date Registered: Oct 2007
The 7th annual Sunset Bay Angler Of The Day Kayak Fishing Challenge was by far the best event we have ever had! Great weather, great conditions, great group of people and even though the fishing might not have been red hot some quality fish and nice stringers were brought to the measure-in!

I arrived at the launch well before first light and couldn't see if the ocean was rough but there was no fog and no wind so I was very optimistic. When the first light came I knew the conditions were gonna be very doable and it turned out to be awesome!

Dave "goldendog" Mason, who is on the injured list kindly offered to help my lovely and talented better half Dudi hold down the fort and measure fish that came in so I could go fish. Thanks for the help Dave! I decided to only use a Barbie pole the entire time and did pretty well finishing 7th overall!

The potluck dinner was delicious as usual. Thanks again for the cooks and helpers and thanks for the all side dishes that everyone brought. The fish tacos were tasty!

The best Karma award has to go to James Tonik, who had a mechanical failure on his kayak and didn't even get to wet a line but ended up winning the top drawing prize, a nice cooler from Englund Marine filled with some nice goodies from the other sponsors!

We had 37 entrants this year. Here is the top ten finishing order.

1. William Eschliman.  587.50
2. Christine Smith.      522.25
3. Paul Walker.             458.50
4. Evan Merz.               424.50
5. Casey Broyles.         392.81
6. James Crumpton.    390.00
7. Roy Marcum.             382.75
8. Steve Hatler.             331.00
9. Chris Hyde.               298.00
10. James Reeher.        280.75

Evan Merz had the largest fish, a monster 37 inch Lingcod!

Congratulations to William Eschliman for winning the event on his first try with four species and also great job to Christine Smith for giving him a run for his money with four species also, making her the highest Finishing female kayak angler in the history of the event. Great job to both of you!

Congrats to the top ten and thank all of you for participating and being so generous with your contributions for the drawings. I am so proud of all of you! Even though our group was not as big as many other events we still raised $1,800 for Heroes On the Water. You guys should be proud of that!

Of course this couldn't be possible without the support of the amazing companies and individuals the donated items for the prizes and drawings. Thank all of you from the bottom of my heart, you are all awesome!

Waxer's surf shop
Hobie
Englund Marine of Charleston, OR
Smokehouse Products
Ninkasi
Big Hammer
Skwoosh
Lancer Jigs
Angler Innovations
Fish Grips/United Plastics
B2 Squid
Cascade Farm and Outdoor
Backwater Paddle Co.
Chinook Bend RV Resort
Waterbug's Rescue Ladders
Sep's
Scotty Paddlesports
Pro Cure Scents
Eugene Skin Diver
Caddis Fly
Yak Attack
Sea Fare Pacific
Willies Custom Rods

Again, thank you all for support, we appreciate what each and everyone of you do for this event!

Thanks to these individuals that made stuff on their own time, with their own money to donate to this event. You guys are awesome!

Scott Brewer
Erik Schmidt
Josh Rogers
Ralph Tislaretz

I hope you all had as good of a time as I did and hope to see everyone back again and welcome all newcomers to join us for one hell of a good time!

Stay tuned for more pictures. Have to collect them from the different people that took them.

Until next time,

Tight Lines!

Visit the Sunset Bay Angler Of The Day Kayak Fishing Chalkenge Facebook event page for pics. www.facebook.com/sunsetbayangleroftheday
See ya on the water..
Roy

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Oh man it was such a fun weekend. Thanks to all the sponsors and competitors for the support. Thanks to Roy, Dudi, Dave, and the fish fry wrecking crew (Craig and Dana).

I happened to snap a pic of the funniest moment of the gathering.

We we about to begin the chip drawing and Roy reminded the crowd of the importance of remembering your number to keep things moving along. I drew the very first chip and handed it to Roy and he called the number out a few times. Nobody stepped forward to claim their prize. Dudi dug the sign up roster out of her truck to match the participant to the number. The prize belonged to this guy!

I'm already looking forward to next year!
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
It was great! Now it's time to dump all my gear out in the driveway for a rinse and organize... Sorry neighbors, it's just for the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fogbank

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
First time out for me, smashing success thanks to Captain Redbeard and his mentoring and kindness, thanks to Roy and Dudie, Craig and Dana, and all the organizers and contributors.  Very special thanks to the lone black rockfish that saved me from being skunked.  He was rewarded with his freedom.  Too much fun!

And I have to say, Brian from Waxer's deserves all the success in the world.  What a great guy, and his family also, including Libby.
2016 Outback Mirage

Kayakin' Blaise

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Thanks a lot Roy and friends for the awesome weekend! Looking forward to next year.

Evan W.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011
It was great! Now it's time to dump all my gear out in the driveway for a rinse and organize... Sorry neighbors, it's just for the day.

Casey,
  Did you really take all of that "stuff" out on the water with you ? Ever think about downsizing ? You might want to consider such an idea...........just sayin'
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Awesome event, Roy and Dude. Friendly, well organized, and great job getting together sponsors. I never win raffles so I was very surprised when you called my number and can't wait to put the smoker to good use!

It was really fun to see everyone and meet new people too. Fogbank was camping beside me and he's a heck of a nice guy and when he pedaled by us at Simpson Reef on game day I was stoked he made it out there. It was also good to get to know Casey and his son a bit better, and INSAYN's son too - good kids! That fish Casey's son caught was every bit of 23" and maybe a hair more - he measured it on my board. I don't know if I've ever seen a black rockfish bigger than that myself. It was also really fun to get to know surf12foot better - not only is he really fun to talk to but he gave me a ton of really great fly-fishing info. Sorry I couldn't make it to the on-the-water fly fishing stuff, but it was the right call, I was dead beat the next day.

Good to see the usual suspects and RogerDodger I should have stopped and pulled over when I waved to you - I came back by later but you were already out fishing. Thank you to all the good cooks including INSAYN, Dana, LingBanger.

Well I'm sure I'm forgetting some shout outs but just want to say "hi" to everyone and it's really fun to see everyone - great group.

Here are some pictures from the event. The copper rockfish was release unharmed, we just thought it was really cool (first time to catch one of those).

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
More

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
More

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
More

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
More

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
More

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
My shirt says it all...  ;D

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Congratulations to the top 5 finishers!
"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

Casey,
  Did you really take all of that "stuff" out on the water with you ? Ever think about downsizing ? You might want to consider such an idea...........just sayin'
My dad, and kid were with me, they use my stuff. I dumped all the boxes from the week. Typically I only bring one Plano box (packed full) out, and maybe a little trolling gear in the crate incase I get an itch to let out a salmon rod, but yes most of the time I do tend to pack a little heavy. It's tough to choose...