Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 04:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 08:34:21 AM]

[Today at 06:23:12 AM]

[June 04, 2024, 05:45:18 PM]

[June 04, 2024, 12:10:56 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 06:03:03 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 01:37:54 PM]

[June 02, 2024, 08:07:13 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:31:12 AM]

[June 02, 2024, 06:30:19 AM]

[May 31, 2024, 09:49:03 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:48:30 AM]

[May 30, 2024, 09:40:29 AM]

[May 29, 2024, 02:46:19 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: Rusted - Jig Heads and hooks  (Read 5587 times)

OlySpec

• FatYakker
  • Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Well, now that I am doing so much more fishing in the salt, I have had the unfortunate problem of getting water in my lead head jig box.  I emptied it out quickly and dried everything the best I could, but yesterday I went to cleanup and reorganize after my weekend on the water and found a ton of my lead jig hoods starting to rust.

Yeah, I use a waterproof box, but I guess at one time I did not seal it correctly and it got water in it.

This issue has plagued me for years and I have not found a great way of either preventing this (other than dont get water on my jig heads) or fixing the issue after they have gotten wet.

I would hate to think that I just roached $100 worth of lead heads.

How do you keep your jig heads rust free?
Hobie Pro Angler
FatYakker's Journey - http://fatyakker.blogspot.com

“It is a crime to have amphibious power and leave it unused.”

— Winston Churchill

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I rinse them all, including the box and then lay them out to air dry. I also try to not take more out than what I might use in one day.

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I don't think this really helps, but I use jig heads that have been painted.  They are from a guy in Shelton who makes them, they are called Lancer jigs.  Here is a picture of what they look like he does lots of different colors and sizes. 

I decided to go check on them.  I went fishing monday and dropped my bag of jigs in the salt water but saved them before the ocean took them, but after the bag got a bunch of water in it. (btw - the picture is one of those)  I figured that at least the hooks would rust.  No rust though.  When I got home I rinsed them in fresh water and let them air dry on a towel in my garage.  Then I got to thinking there was no rust just because of the paint.  So, I checked some that I have used in the past that had lost paint due to bang into rocks or having too many lings biting them.  No rust on those at all.  I have had to steel wool the rust off the hooks on these same ones, the ones that have lost some paint.  But no rust on the head.

Now, that doesn't help you with the existing rust.  But it could be something to thing about for the future.

I have read, though never tried, vinegar... maybe even some pepsi.
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
Been covered here before but short version is;
Thorough wash down with fresh water and then dry. Corrosion X or WD 40 repeat as needed.

Like it or not eventually it will happen. Best you can do is preventive maintainence using steps above.
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

OlySpec

• FatYakker
  • Salmon
A little google action has me thinking I might be able to salvage my jigs with vinegar.  Going to try tonight and will report back.

Hobie Pro Angler

— Winston Churchill

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Step one:  Rinse them thoroughly with fresh water before they are allowed to dry out.  Leaving them overnight is asking for trouble.

Step two:  WD-40

AND, since you've now experienced this with jig heads, you should make sure you rinse out your PA really well after salt excursions.  I know it's stainless steel hardware on it; however, stainless steel will rust.

revjcp

• Sturgeon
  • Don't judge me...
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
 :icon_scratch:  What is a PA?
Malibu Mini-X

Formers Rides...
OK Trident 13
Hobie Outback

Romanian Redneck

• snoodleboob smoochy bear
  • Sturgeon
  • 2011 Hobie Outback & WS Tarpon 120
:icon_scratch:  What is a PA?

Pro Angler. Hobie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RR's Channel         

"You break into my house, I will shoot you. My wife will shoot you and then spend thirty minutes telling you why she shot you."
- Jeff Foxworthy

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I rinse them all, including the box and then lay them out to air dry. I also try to not take more out than what I might use in one day.
+1.  I rinse everything off with fresh water when I get home to include my drysuit.  I have never done anything but rinse and air dry and have had no rust issues.  As for vinegar, it works because the acid eats the rusted metal faster than the unrusted.  But, it will eat away both eventually, so do not leave them in for too long.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
This is one of the reasons I pack for fishing the way I do.  I keep everything that I reasonably expect to use in one box and try to only open that box when on the water.  I keep backups in other waterproof boxes, but rarely have to use them.  And when I do, I'm super careful not to get any salt water in them.  Everything in the main box gets a rinse after a day of fishing.

Depending on the jig hooks you have, the rust may not be a problem.  If they are the heavy duty thick kind, just sharpen the hooks and fish them.  If they are something like an owner cutting point, your mileage may vary.  I have a lot of hooks with surface rust that I continue to use with no issues.

-Allen

OlySpec

• FatYakker
  • Salmon
Yeah, I rinse everything with fresh water when I get home including the inside of the PA.

I think that I need to work harder at the minimalist approach, but it is tough with jig heads.  One day I will lose a dozen, the next only 1 or none....And thinking forward to ORC, new water, so what size to carry?  How many of each size? etc, ad nauseum....
Hobie Pro Angler

— Winston Churchill

Noah

• Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Yeah, I rinse everything with fresh water when I get home including the inside of the PA.

I think that I need to work harder at the minimalist approach, but it is tough with jig heads.  One day I will lose a dozen, the next only 1 or none....And thinking forward to ORC, new water, so what size to carry?  How many of each size? etc, ad nauseum....
Generally 2-6 oz depending on the current and what type of rod you're using. I usually lose only a couple at Depoe but it can certainly be more. I think about the most I've lost in a a day was 5-6. I usually carry about twice that in different sizes between 2-6 oz.

Fishesfromtupperware

• Sturgeon
  • Don't ask me how I know!
  • Date Registered: Nov 2006
Yep! What they said with special emphasis on taking enuf but not too much! Rust happens. I posted about this product a while back, but I still have not tried it:

It's from Owner Hooks, so it should be legit. :dontknow:
Best advice is still take only what you need and wash thouroughly in fresh water when your done. WD-40 does not hurt either, but it does not play well with some plastics.
"For when sleeping I dream of big fish and strong fights"

Kenai_guy

• Salmon
  • It's not as fun if it's easy
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I do some things similarly to the previous posts, but I also put my individual pieces (weights, pretied leaders, jigs) inside ziploc sandwich bags inside my quick access box.  No tangles & no water.... just make sure you keep track of your bags so you don't trash up the place.
No matter how many times the PB's tell me I'm nuts....I still smile every time I out fish them

9th place 2014 ORC
4th place 2014 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic
1st fish ever entered & Day 1 Champion 2013 Whiskey Gulch Yak Classic

flytyer_396

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2008
I like to rinse down my gear with Salt Away or Salt Terminator.  I also like to use any of the products that produce a protective vapor such as ZeRust.