Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 10:31:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:31:18 AM]

by Spot
[May 16, 2024, 08:44:06 PM]

by [WR]
[May 16, 2024, 05:38:38 PM]

by Plap
[May 15, 2024, 08:48:08 AM]

[May 14, 2024, 08:15:34 AM]

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: ORC 2015 Results  (Read 12319 times)

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Can we get a rule that prohibits John Hayashibara from pressuring anglers into swigging Jameson at the campground?  ;D

Sorry, going to have to disagree with you here.  Quit whining and let John do what John does well!    :tongue3:

-Allen

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
What were the water temperatures out there?

My FF was reading 57-58 all day.
Science says???? An hour is longer then I think anyone in a group will still be in the water. Not saying it's wrong or right and I definitely wear my wetsuit in the open ocean.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

Science says???? An hour is longer then I think anyone in a group will still be in the water. Not saying it's wrong or right and I definitely wear my wetsuit in the open ocean.

Good point. I get tired of the immersion gear witch hunt. I don't care - I wear a drysuit - but I don't understand why it's the #1 safety concern. I'd much rather deal with a very experienced kayaker in board shorts than a newbie in a drysuit. Just my two cents...

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006

Good point. I get tired of the immersion gear witch hunt. I don't care - I wear a drysuit - but I don't understand why it's the #1 safety concern. I'd much rather deal with a very experienced kayaker in board shorts than a newbie in a drysuit. Just my two cents...

While I agree with Redbeard here, I also disagree that an hour is longer then anyone in a group would be in the water, especially in foggy situations where it is easy to get separated and lost.  Paddle towards the sun dammit!!!  >:D

-Allen

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

Easy way to fix this and provide some level of a accountability would be to adopt Eric's "sponsorship' approach he uses at his Gimme Sheltor events in Cali.  You can't just sign up and register willy nilly and compete. How it works is you have to have someone that has attended a prior GS event vouch for you and your safety preparedness and ocean kayak experience or you don't play.  Nobody will take on a sponsorship of someone they don't know anything about, or sponsor someone they don't feel confident enough to buddy boat while on the water.

We could easily adopt a similar system that would do a better job of setting us up with the right folks prepared to enjoy a day fishing the ORC, at the same time reducing the babysitting factor of the event organizers.  At the end of the day, if someone that the masses did not know here did something stupid and causes a safety issue or shows unsportsmanlike conduct, then their NWKA/NCKA sponsor gets to do the explaining.  Obvioiusly folks that are known and established on NWKA will get brow bashed for acting unsafe or unsportsmanlike naturally.

By adopting and using a similar system we would encourage more lurkers out there to get involved with NWKA throughout the year so that their knowledge and experience can get established and not need a babysitter sponsor to attend. 

This is not intended to just weed out newbies from attending, rather make sure that they have 1:1 support with an experienced NWKA/NCKA member to safely enjoy the tourney, or just have their knowledge and experience vouched for.

It's a "Win" "Win" for everyone. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Can we get a rule that prohibits John Hayashibara from pressuring anglers into swigging Jameson at the campground?  ;D

Sorry, going to have to disagree with you here.  Quit whining and let John do what John does well!    :tongue3:

-Allen

+1

You might need to work on your peer pressure tolerance there, Ling Ling.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009

-Allen

+1

You might need to work on your peer pressure tolerance there, Ling Ling.

If you're having trouble in the morning, just have him make you up some ribs, they'll wake your ass up.  Pun intended.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

Just don't confuse hypothermia with cold shock. If your extremities aren't functioning you can easily find yourself in a difficult situation.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

bluewrx02

• Salmon
  • Facebook
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011

-Allen

Thanks for sticking up for me! I'll get you a cup full next time
2011 Oregon Rockfish Classic – 1st place
2013 Oregon Rockfish Classic - 1st place

2011 Hobie Outback     
2013 Hobie Revo 13     
2014 Hobie Adventure Island

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
A good wet suit is arguably better protection than a dry suit with insufficient thermal underlayers.  Is there something regarding immersion thermal protection in the waiver?  Leave it at that.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

• Date Registered: Jan 2015
Here are the pics I have.

We will try to get some numbers up from past 10th place however i wouldnt count as accurate as A LOT of guys chose not to weigh some good sized fish after seeing what had already been weighed.

Our Winner:

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
We will try to get some numbers up from past 10th place however i wouldnt count as accurate as A LOT of guys chose not to weigh some good sized fish after seeing what had already been weighed.

Yeah I thought it was kind of a bummer that happened. It's fun to see how everything shakes out and gives you bragging rights over your friends, or shame and dishonor to your family, depending.

Mark Collett

• Sturgeon
  • Make It Happen
  • Date Registered: May 2011

Yeah I thought it was kind of a bummer that happened. It's fun to see how everything shakes out and gives you bragging rights over your friends, or shame and dishonor to your family, depending.

That happens every year (people not weighing a losing fish). It would still be kinda cool if those that did weigh -in could find out where they stand in the bigger picture. Whether it's 15th place or 50th place-- people do like to know. Perhaps someday one who has that information could share with the masses.

What were the final donations for HOW and Neighbors For Kids ? Has that information been tallied yet ? no pressure and NO I am not complaining (cause I wasn't there) but don't you think the people that were there would like to know ? ..... Please !!!

Thank-you if such numbers can be made public.
Life is short---live it tall.

Be kinder than necessary--- everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Sailors may be struck down at any time, in calm or in storm, but the sea does not do it for hate or spite.
She has no wrath to vent. Nor does she have a hand in kindness to extend.
She is merely there, immense, powerful, and indifferent

Deluxeharley

• Lingcod
  • "Live like Ron"
  • Date Registered: Jun 2011
Regarding the Captain's Bag contents. I have not yet figured out what the "towel" with NA logo on it is. ? shammy, towel, used in place of a gunny sack to keep fish fresh? anyone figured out what it is.
My New Motto is.... "Live like Ron"

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
Regarding the Captain's Bag contents. I have not yet figured out what the "towel" with NA logo on it is. ? shammy, towel, used in place of a gunny sack to keep fish fresh? anyone figured out what it is.

It's a polyester/rayon pack towel.  It's very absorbent and light weight.  It's similar in function to a shammy (Chamois leather) but not quite as nice.
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

anything