Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 17, 2024, 12:21:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[June 16, 2024, 08:11:23 PM]

[June 15, 2024, 10:00:06 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 04:43:13 PM]

[June 14, 2024, 03:48:56 PM]

[June 13, 2024, 08:15:37 AM]

by Zach
[June 13, 2024, 06:12:39 AM]

by jed
[June 12, 2024, 01:01:01 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 11:17:34 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 07:16:15 PM]

[June 10, 2024, 12:39:16 PM]

[June 08, 2024, 06:29:12 AM]

by Spot
[June 07, 2024, 11:10:55 AM]

[June 07, 2024, 08:15:15 AM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:35:37 PM]

[June 03, 2024, 03:08:01 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Rockfish on the fly with Drifter2007

Topic: 2015 Salmon SlayRide Derby  (Read 17321 times)

kykfshr

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Sorry for the late notice folks. Been trying to get a kayak secured.
Took sometime, but were able to secure a great 1st Place Prize from Malibu Kayaks, the X-Factor in Winter Camo. Sign Up Now!

This will be a Bag Limit Tournament based on total weight of All Legal Salmon Limit Caught. (Don't gut your fish!)

You can park at the IGA Grocery in Hoodsport, when launching across the street. Please park in the back section of the parking lot in order to leave spaces up front for customers.

POTLUCK TO BE CONDUCTED AFTER THE TOURNAMENT AT THE SUNRISE MOTEL
(separate thread to be started).
We are working on a beer sponsor for a couple of kegs.

ALL COMPETITORS MUST:
- FILL OUT AND SIGN A WAIVER BEFORE HITTING THE WATER! If you haven't signed a waiver, you're NOT competing.
- TOURNAMENT HOURS ARE BETWEEN SUN UP AND 3PM, YOU MAY CHOOSE TO LAUNCH EARLIER FROM OTHER LOCATIONS BUT MUST RETURN WITH YOUR FISH TO MEET THE 3PM CUT OFF FOR WEIGH-IN.
- FISHING CAN BE DONE AS FAR AS OAKLAND BAY, tournament fees and waivers must be received prior to launching and checking in your fish.
- WEAR IMMERSION GEAR APPROPRIATE TO WATER TEMPS AND WEATHER FOR THE DAY OF THE TOURNAMENT
- WEAR A PFD AT ALL TIMES
- FLY A SAFETY FLAG
- PROPEL THEMSELVES TO AND FROM THE FISHING GROUNDS (HUMAN POWER ONLY)
- CARRY A VALID WASHINGTON FISHING LICENSE & VALID ID
- FOLLOW ALL WDFW REGULATIONS APPROPRIATE TO THE AREA
- ALL PARTICIPANTS MUST PADDLE; CATCH AND LAND (NET) FISH WITHOUT ASSISTANCE OF OTHER PERSON(S). Use of tandem kayaks may be allowed provided each participant is able to paddle as well as catch and land (net) fish without assistance.
- ALL FISH MUST BE AT THE CHECK IN STATION BY 3:00PM
For more information or questions contact Dino: Dino@NorthWestKayakAnglers.com

Waiver document is located below, download and email in by Oct. 30
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 09:28:10 PM by islandson671 »

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Excellent.  I haven't fished for chum in a long time and never intentionally in the salt.  I'm excited to  try something new.  I miss those gators and their crazy teeth.  I remember a very long fight with one in the upper teens on fly gear.  Probably the longest battle I've had on a fly rod.

Since I've got Keta brain, how many common, marketing, or slang names have you heard these critters called?  Add to my list if you have some.

Keta
Dog
Chum
Silver Brite
Rainbow
Gator
Calico
Tiger
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 05:13:38 PM by snopro »

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

kykfshr

• Lingcod
Gys and Gals

My apologies for not getting details about the tournament out to everybody.  Dino is still working on getting some prizes finalized and as soon as he does we will let everybody know (within the next couple days).

Thanks

Scott

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
No problem.  Stoked it's going down on the 31st.

If anyone has time to post a primer on this fishery I'd appreciate it.  I read through the Slayride post from last season and came away with.....small herring or chovies under a bobber, flies, marabou jigs.  Trolling doesn't sound like a popular method.

Can you find fish away from the hatchery along the beach or is the hatchery area the only spot worth fishing?

• Predator pdl
  • Alpine metal art
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
The 31st. Is there another day that would work, for us that have kids. Would love to go but if that's the date I'm out. And with only 2 weeks to plan.
Johnson outdoors Pro-staff
Old town kayaks
Humminbird sonar
2014 & 2015 Old Town Predator 13's
2016 Predator xl
2017 predator pdl
KnoxKustoms fishing rods

kykfshr

• Lingcod
A big thank you to Dino for his persistence in securing a kayak for the grand prize.  It took a lot of time and effort on his part- it is very much appreciated.  All SlayRide info should be posted later tonight.  Location, rules, format will be like last year.

Thanks

Scott

islandson671

• Heroes On The Water NWest
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2010
A big thank you to Dino for his persistence in securing a kayak for the grand prize.  It took a lot of time and effort on his part- it is very much appreciated.  All SlayRide info should be posted later tonight.  Location, rules, format will be like last year.

Thanks

Scott

Gotta thank cousin Ed for laying the ground work and putting me in contact with Malibu Kayaks

crackergraham

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2014
Big thanks to the organizers of this tournament!  This time last year I had no idea what Kayak fishing was.  I got tugged around by a dirty dog, ate some amazing poke' and drank some good beer with some good people and was hooked.  However.... I have kids who want to shovel candy from strangers into their faces as well.  My question:

Do you have to be present to win the prize?  For those of us with Kids in the Puget Sound area... it'd be doable to come out and fish/support the cause... and then scurry back in time for trick or treating if we were able to weigh in around 1pm and then take off.  Perhaps a no need to be present to win will encourage a few more folks to squeeze it in.  Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:26:37 AM by crackergraham »
--—•—--
2nd Place 2015 Salmon Slayride
6th Place 2015 AOTY
5th Place 2016 AOTY
--—•—--

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009

Can you find fish away from the hatchery along the beach or is the hatchery area the only spot worth fishing?

They can be caught all up and down the beach.
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Will check-in be open Saturday morning?  I may opt to drive in Saturday AM.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Will check-in be open Saturday morning?  I may opt to drive in Saturday AM.

Yes!

islandson671

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
Big thanks to the organizers of this tournament!  This time last year I had no idea what Kayak fishing was.  I got tugged around by a dirty dog, ate some amazing poke' and drank some good beer with some good people and was hooked.  However.... I have kids who want to shovel candy from strangers into their faces as well.  My question:

Do you have to be present to win the prize?  For those of us with Kids in the Puget Sound area... it'd be doable to come out and fish/support the cause... and then scurry back in time for trick or treating if we were able to weigh in around 1pm and then take off.  Perhaps a no need to be present to win will encourage a few more folks to squeeze it in.  Thoughts?

I will ask Scott, this is a good point for sure!

hayday91b

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
Can I come.

No Randy. There is a one Floridian limit per tourney and I filled it. You stay down there where its warm and sunny!!
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

anything